When you are locked up in your studio, how do people on the outside contact you?

ob

I am at the framing stage, prefatory to wiring, and am trying to figure out a system where those on the outside (primarily my wife and son) can let me know that they are out there and need my attention. My future studio is going to be in a garage apartment, above my garage, at the top of a set of steps. Because of noise interruptions, I was not planning on installing a phone. I was thinking about a doorbell button that would activate a light, or something like that, but something that would keep people from knocking on the door and disrupting the recording process.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I use a phone with a ringer strobe.... no sound, just a flashing light....... and if I don't answer it, my answering service kicks in.....!

Last edited:
The strobe works good, I ve found that sometimes answering the phone though can upset workflow. Try putting an answering machine where I can see it flash when it rings, but also you can see the led when the message count goes up. If you have time or the situation warrants it you just answer the phone, otherwise let them leave a message and call em back asap. As an ex recording artist, I hated seeing an engineer talking on the phone.

SoMm

I have the ringer strobe on the phone. I have a deicated phone line into the studio so if my girlfriend upstairs needs to talk to me she just calls the studio line. I see the strobe, look at the caller ID to see if I want to talk to whoever it is.

CCTV, is pretty cheap and effective. Might consider putting one camera on the front door of your house.

I like the ideas of the answering machine... I am sure your wife and son would like that:rolleyes:

I 2nd the cctv....and/or the 2nd line with the strobe flasher... or anyone wanting to flash:eek:

Back