When I lower my guitars vol. the HI freq get cut.

Ostia Man

Hi! I put some 1meg pots on my guitar, the thing is only when the vol. is at ten I can hear the full freq range of the guitar. if I lower the vol. the hi freq gets cut. Is there something wrong with the wiring or with the pots?

Also, can i use "no load pots" in the vol. or just in the tone?

ThanX

You can fit a small capacitor somewhere around .001uf from the hot end of the volume pot to the slider, this bleeds in some of the original hf frequencies that are lost when you bring down the volume. Usually you use a no load pot on the tone control, the pot is designed or cut so that it goes open circuit at the end of its travel effectivly removing the pot out of circuit at the end of its travel, thus putting no load on the circuit.
Here's a link from the Kinman site showing a capacitor resistor combination to help decrease the hf loss on lowering the volume......plenty of other info here to.....
http://www.kinman.com/images/inside/toneWorkshop/tone/Strat_Wirogram.PDF
Another link
http://www.kinman.com/images/inside/toneWorkshop/tone/Tele_Wirogram.PDF
This explains whats going on.........
http://ratcliffe.co.za/articles/volumepot2.shtml
Hope this helps
Vikki(uk)

Last edited:
I know from experience that having a "treble bleed" cap on the volume pot can (not always), increase the highs through the full range of the volume pot, NOT just at low volume levels............Patrick Eggle guitars are one where desoldering the cap is known to "fatten" the sound right across the volume range.

Maybe the solution is in matching the cap to the rest of the circuitry through trial and error.

:cool:

are you really sure that the guitar is losing high end at low volume?

Could it just be the way your ears perceive those frequencies at different volumes?

I am not saying this is the case, just curious. I have noticed similar phenomenon over the years with different instruments and was never sure if it was me or the instrument.

I don´t have this same issue only with my EMG set up .On stage, studio, I can put the vol pot in the level I want, and the tone is the same...

But with my others guitars, I will do (already impress the page), the "capacitor trick" (not "me", I´m dangerous with a soldering iron) :D

Ciro

my songs
www.soundclick.com/openstation

ausrock said:
I know from experience that having a "treble bleed" cap on the volume pot can (not always), increase the highs through the full range of the volume pot, NOT just at low volume levels............

Actually, it always does, but the effect gets more pronounced the lower you turn the volume.

Personally, I'm not real fond of treble bleed caps, but when I use them I usually use a 500pf cap instead of the more common 1000pf (or .001 μf). It is much less noticeable, but that is why I like it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

well, i changed some cables becaouse they were single conductor cables(I dont know the correct term for them, just single wire, very stif), and nothing. I changed the vol pot from 1000 to 500, and problem solved =). well actually my treble in a little stange, it seems to be cuting the low freq too. maybe the problem is the 1000 pot that is still in the tone.

have anyone have had any problem with 1000 pots?

Back