When I grow up I want to be analog.............

trancedental

Many of the first & second generation of digital hard disk / tape based recorders & associated various associated interfaces from the late '80's to mid '90's have become obsolete & redundant over the last few years & are becominging worthless as they are replaced with the latest technology.

Take for example these Prism Audio Tascam DTRS / AES/EBU 20-24 bit digtal interface units which were given away free from a broadcast company!! Original cost around over £2900 each inc VAT.....

Very useful for being remade into something new & even recycling the parts inside including 8 X Neutrik PCB connectors in each plus the nice cases.

This first ones growning up to become another DIY GSSL Mix Buss Compressor clone, the other will probably become home to a 1176 compressor!!!

Attachments

• Prism.jpg
    Prism.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Prism inside.jpg
    Prism inside.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 64
  • GSSL Prism.jpg
    GSSL Prism.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
trancedental said:
This first ones growning up to become another DIY GSSL Mix Buss Compressor clone, the other will probably become home to a 1176 compressor!!!

Cool :cool:

I know first hand like many the depreciation of digital gear. My Roland workstation went from 2100 to 500 within a year. Basically, as soon as you walk out of a store with a digital anything it's lost half it's value already.

BUT digital gear is "AMAZING" it doesn't need improvement. :D:rolleyes:

Very useful ...!!!
Right ON :) - :cool:
- Me too. :)
It's a bit risky, though, grabbing a digital gear with "parts for diy" in mind, unless you know for sure what's and HOW it is inside. Well, if it's FREE, than you can't go wrong, that's for sure.
I just bought a "piece of gear" (tektronix XLR-100 audiobypass unit from this system ) to use it as donor for my 'special preojects', actually bought it for 27 bucks!!!!!+Sh - that's way too much in my book ..heh heh, but I've got some stuff I needed in one package sort of speak, 16ins+16outs switchcraft panel/mount XLRs, , 32 12Volts mini-relays, a fancy +5VDC/+15VDC power supply, few other simple useful parts and a 2u-rack-box (kinda useful, but will need to re-design the face-plate). Good quality parts, but it was actually pain in the neck to take all the parts out, desoldering was pretty tough, those are like freaking tripple layer BCBs - grrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:
Recycle 'em , baby. Make their bones serve Analog :p

Attachments

• xlr100.jpg
    xlr100.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 46
Back