When are magic eye tubes comming back?

LazerBeakShiek

Rad Racing Team
There were these tubes in old 1950's hifi's that had these other worldly green lights. They were called magic eye tubes. They used them for Station tuning, VU meters, etc. like LEDs are used today. Anybody remember them?

They should use them again in retro equipment. They keep the swinging needle VU.

Top down veiw of tube.

Screenshot 2021-03-30 205215.jpg

The one had a top iris that opened and closed. Another could be seen from the side and went up and down.

'Orrible bloody things! I had one on my first tape recorder, a 3&3/4 ips Philips and was always dead jealous of a mate with a PROPER meter on his Ferrograph!

Dave.

What about a Hollow cathode lamp? The HAL 'eye' from 2001. As a jewel light for a Fender/Marshall amp.

Screenshot 2021-04-01 094300.jpgScreenshot 2021-04-01 094448.jpg
I could install that on my desktop. The damn things connected to everything.

As a bonus your name is Dave. You need this. This is a Jerry Maguire 'You complete me' item.

Last edited:
Now ! They are comming NOW!

KORG got the drop on the patent.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 124123.jpg

Yep supply cannot keep up with demand. These will sell out!

Nah - if you really want cool devices, bring back Nixie tubes!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 20.53.23.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 20.53.23.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Magic eyes? Bloody awful things. As a young teen I had a Philips tape recorder with a magic eye record level 'indicator' naff thing. I was SOOOOO bloody jealous of my mate who had a Ferrograph series 4 with PROPER meter!

I still think VU meters are cooler than LEDs and PPMs the coolest of all!

Dave.

From the shoebox of 'Old Assorted Tubes', a couple Magic Eye tubes which I likely pulled from old radios ages ago. I'm ready for when they make a come back :P.
And on the workbench from about 1966 a home built capacitor tester/checker that used a Magic Tube.

Attachments

• Magic Eye Tubes.jpg
    Magic Eye Tubes.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 4
  • Workshop1966 2.jpg
    Workshop1966 2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 4
Back