Whatta ya got?

Blackburn

I'm curious what type of machines are being used by the people that visit the Analog Only area...

I have a Tascam 388...it's limited but it works for what I'm doing.

So, what are you using?

Not much of an analog guy anymore. I have two old Tascam 238 Syncassettes and a 7010 reel to reel that don't get too much use any more.

Blackburn said:
I'm not sure if that qualifies...:D
Whaddaya' mean it doesn't qualify?????

I have a Radio Shack 8-track cassette re corder from the 80's that I am still using. :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dem' jus' jokes, blackburn.

analog heaven

Greetings, fellow analog lovers, and thats not to say digital is...not lovable? Just take a look at all the problems on the digital forums. Same at tascam. I have apersonal studio with two MRS-16S's. Going to synch em' through a midiizer, as soon as I get my wiring done. My mixer is my weak link. But I like it. Its an old studiomaster 20/8/2. Monitor pots are bad, but no time to fix. Looking and saving for a tascam 3500 Lots of fun, if you have time for that anymore. Got some digital stuff too. But what little time I have, I hate wasting it trying to become a f_____g computor engineer just to put down a simple guitar trk. Let alone mix. Maybe when I get a new computer, but even that has become a chore. Asked a lot of questions on the net, got a lot of feedback, all of which are convincing me to forget digital. No production here, just fun. So whats the point of trying to get a digital mutitrack actually to work, when I can just reach over to the midiizer and hit the record/arm button! Cheers everyone
fitz

Exactly Rick...I have worked with a few roland digitals and I have a good amount of experience working with ProTools and, they have their strong points, but with analog it's all just about the sounds.

Granted, you can't do the same type of editing that you can it digital but, with analog, you get straight to the point of recording...getting good takes down to tape.

That's what I'm sayin'.

tascam 38

love it love it love it
for my low budget spare bedroom turned 'music room', guess i cant call it a studio............viva analog!!

I have at least two of practically everything,...

but so far, all my multitracking has been done on the 244, the 424mkII, the 38/M30 and the 388.

Its nice to see the 388 out in full force in the analog forum. As previously stated, I love it.

So, what is your take on the dbx on it? Good or bad? I'm still trying to decide if I should or shouldn't use it. My results have been a little varied...

I always use the dbx-on.

That's the way the 388's supposed to be used, by design, and that's a way Tascam eeks out a little extra high fidelity out of the 1/4" 8-track format.

The dbx system really quashes tape hiss, and boosts dynamic range, and is amenable to almost all program material. Although hard, percussive piano, and actual percussion like drums are the hardest signals for dbx to track, I've almost never had any audible side-effects from the dbx.

In general, when you turn off dbx, you're inviting audible tape hiss back in, and there's a slight decrease in overall S/N ratio.

On the 388, as well as actual "Portastudios", the dbx is meant to be on all the time. Dbx -on is what seems to give best results, overall, and that's how I recommend using it.

You may find members who don't like dbx, for "pumping" or various other reasons, but I've always used it, and have had basically no problem with it. Dbx definitely quashes tape hiss and boosts S/N, which is an audible improvement over running without dbx.

Here's what i have...Analog Rules!!!!!!

I have a Sony TCKA-3ES 3 head cassette deck and i also have a Circa 1986 Nakamichi Dragon 3 head cassette deck (Classic)..I love them both but the Dragon will go to the grave with me..

I have an MSR-16 that I'd love to sync up to my DAW. I don't use it much right now, but its a great machine that I will continue to use.

Still got my 32 year old Teac 3340AS. Works fine too although I don't use it as much as I used to. But when I bought a digital recorder, I got a stand alone unit (Fostex 1624) 'cause I wanted it to still be as much like analog as possible. I hate virtual button setups.

I've just done a couple 'classic rock' covers on my 388.

It sounds pretty darn good, though. I've been meaning to do another production number on the 388, but just haven't had time.

[Mental note: Do more tracking on the 388].

Back