What's your technique for drum tracking

moelar2

I posted a thread in the recording techniques, but I'm specifically interested in getting answers from cubase users.

Originally, I did not allow punch ins for drum tracking. It feels unnatural, and if not done properly, it ends up being more work than doing it the right way; practicing your drums so that the parts come second nature. This is the advice I give all drummers that record with me. It doesn't always work though. My drummer just recorded with another band (who used protools) and described the tracking process as follows:

1) Record 3 full takes
2) Seperately record fills in case they weren't properly executed in the 3 takes
3) edit and put tracks together.

Now, I DO punch in b/c my drummer is a pain in the ass detail oriented guy who psychologically hears differences that no other human would hear. As a result, we basically record section by section, i.e., verse 1, chorus 1, verse 2, chorus 2, etc...

The good thing is that now I can pretty much punch in ANYWHERE. I do it as follows (example):

Record (always w/click so measures line up w/song) measures 2-19. If the chorus starts at measure 18, I'll set my punch in locator to measure 17, roll him back to about measure 13 or 14 and have him start playing along, when he gets to measure 17 it automatically punches him in while he records the next passage, and then create the edit. The edit is as follows: splice at measure 18, highlight measure 17, hit "x" for crossfade, and open the cross fade editor and set the curve to whatever I want. This creates a seamless cut. It's worked great.

But how does one accomplish what the guys did with the 3 takes and recording fills???

I don't have any experience with this in particular, but I would assume that he is doing it much as you described above, but he has the whole take there instead of punching in and out at a certain point.

For example, I really liked the verse part of the second take, but messed up a bit on the chorus, so I take the chorus from the third take, and splice it in (doing the crossfading and extra measure stuff like you described).
Only a guess tho, never actually done it.....seems like it would work IN THEORY.

I don't really like the three track technique. I feel that the best way to track drums is to just do what you're doing. Which is just recording one solid take until he screws up, punch in a few second before he screwed up, and then just piece it together with a crossfade. Way less time consuming, as you don't have to fully analyse 3 tracks of drumming. Doing fills seperately is a good idea if the drummer is having a hard time laying them down.

I've use the 3 take composite method. I do a few passes of drums listening to each so I can get an idea of where I need to play better ;) and then I go back and cut the bad parts out and use the part of the other take that works there. I haven't tried the crossfade thing yet but I'm sure that would give me a more seamless result. So far just doing it the other way, it is hard to tell where the slice is. I try to put it right before a down beat.

I punch in drums, and in a mix you can't tell the difference, especially if the punch comes on the downbeat of a transition between 2 parts of of song. The miniscule change in tone in that situation sometimes is a good thing, actually.

I think I must be the only one...

who actually uses the drum editor in Cubase and manually enters every hit in the drum track...lol (I haven't found any other method that allows someone with absolutely no timing, to generate an original drum track.

I used this method on the instrumental version of one of my songs "Anthem to the estranged" and I think it sounds fairly natural...

Take a listen and let me know what you think...

http://www.betarecords.com/openframeset.php?content=/strategically.placed

Maybe someone here has a suggestion that might make this task of manual entry much easier for me...

(Note all of the songs on this site, I did using this method...but I think I did the best job on the instrumental...)

Henry Duthler said:
who actually uses the drum editor in Cubase and manually enters every hit in the drum track...lol (I haven't found any other method that allows someone with absolutely no timing, to generate an original drum track.

I used this method on the instrumental version of one of my songs "Anthem to the estranged" and I think it sounds fairly natural...

Take a listen and let me know what you think...

http://www.betarecords.com/openframeset.php?content=/strategically.placed

Maybe someone here has a suggestion that might make this task of manual entry much easier for me...

(Note all of the songs on this site, I did using this method...but I think I did the best job on the instrumental...)

Hate to burst your bubble, but that doesn't sound natural. The cymbal and hat hits cut off very abruptly...a telltale sign of bad editing. Plus, what's the point of having the drums in time when the guitars are not? Not to mention the intonation.

I like making loops....a verse section, a chorus section, a bridge...record a few fills and variations and copy and paste. Obviously you hve to be careful with things liek cymbals, but composites work well for me.

Re: SPonse....

scrubs said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but that doesn't sound natural. The cymbal and hat hits cut off very abruptly...a telltale sign of bad editing. Plus, what's the point of having the drums in time when the guitars are not? Not to mention the intonation.

Fair enough...now just out of curiousity, for someone with limited musical ability...what would you suggest to get decent sounding drums... (BTW I didn't do the guitars on that track...lol and what exactly do you mean by intonation?

Henry Duthler said:
...for someone with limited musical ability...what would you suggest to get decent sounding drums...

Find a drummer with a decent amount of musical ability for starters. :D

Henry Duthler said:
Fair enough...now just out of curiousity, for someone with limited musical ability...what would you suggest to get decent sounding drums... (BTW I didn't do the guitars on that track...lol and what exactly do you mean by intonation?

Yep, what NL5 said. Either get a better drummer, or practice until you can do it.

Intonation

I think it comes down to what you want out of your music

Personally, I have worked on songs with a lot of people, with a wide range of talent...but at the end of the day, I think my music is more about trying to do the best I can do, without relying on the talent of others...

To me the songs I write are very much an extension of myself...I never claimed to be a musician or anything like that, but everytime you add someone to the creative process, you lose a little of that personal touch. This is why I was looking for the feedback. . .

I know a lot of you out there, have a better ear, and more knowledge of music as a whole. But from the standpoint of someone who is more of a lyricist attempting to find the sound for his ideas...sometimes I rely on the tools such as software to strengthen my abilities...I am pretty sure I am not the only one out there who has these challenges...

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Your quite right Henry, compromise is often necessary. I don't play bass. I have one, but I'm no good. I think it's hard to play and I'm awkward with it. But the amount fo times I've had to step up and play a bass hook is unbelievable.

moelar2 said:
But how does one accomplish what the guys did with the 3 takes and recording fills???
That sounds like a silly idea. Why only do 3 takes and the fills? What if the drummer hasnt played each part correctly between the 3 takes? Best to cheak over everything before saying that the drum track is finished.
I do alot of editing for drums. I just make sure that the edits dont have cymbals ringing out at the start or end, although this can be fixed by adding an extra set of OHs and Ride cymbal track and taking a sample of cymbals and putting them in place where the edit would cut out parts. Can sound flawless when done well.

Eck

Fair enough...now just out of curiousity, for someone with limited musical ability...what would you suggest to get decent sounding drums...
Henry,

If you don't have access to a real drummer, you can also try some of the commercial drum loops. I personally use Beta Monkey. You can check out a couple of my songs here that use them (I'll Be Fine and State of Mind).

Neall

I prefer getting a near perfect drum take in one shot.
I use Drumagog and replace bass drum, snare and toms.
I'm left with overhead and hihat channels. I try not to edit those if I can help it. I eq or compress out the lower frequencies on the overhead and hihat and sit back and listen. The rest is simply getting the volumes where I want them. Its fairly simple and it works for me in my studio. Your mileage may vary. :rolleyes:

Back