what's your technics of recording vocal???

tribal

Hey, everyone out there, I like to ask how you record vocal in you room, I mean actual your actual own room, cos a lot of time, the answer were for real studio. How would I reduce the noise, what plugins should I use to kill the humming sound, especially vocal from my condensed mic, based on cubase sx3.

Thanks

If you have a humming sound or noise, you don't fix it with a plug-in, you fix it up front in the chain so it isn't there.

What's the problem? bad mic cable? bad Phantom power? Bad room? Interface probleme?

Clean gain staging, as decent acoustics as I can manage, balanced singing technique in front of the mic and as little post-fixing as possible is what I use.

Best,
C.

what's your technics of recording vocal???
Mic -> Preamp -> Interface.

Mic - Usually a dynamic (unless it's a nice soft, smoky, female or Burl Ives sounding male vocal), obviously in a decent room, but as the average dynamic (my personal favorite being the SM7b) isn't as obscenely sensitive as the average condenser (such as a C414 or U87), the room isn't nearly as much of an issue.

Preamp - Clean is good. Lots of usable headroom, but don't actually try to use any of it. Signals peaking around -15 or -12dBFS at the interface. Nothing else in the chain (EQ, certainly no dynamics control) unless it's absolutely necessary for some bizarre reason). "All in one" channel-strip type units would have pretty much everything bypassed and all controls at unity (except for the pre-gain, which will be wherever it needs to be to give me peaks around -15 to -12dBFS on the loud parts). True, Grace, FMR - All incredibly decent *and* incredibly inexpensive.

Interface - Well, there it is. If the first two steps were successful, there you go. Not sure where you're falling short with the noise and the hum... But you can bet it's before the interface somewhere...

I got Alesis Multimix16 f/w using Rhode nt1 for vocal, I just found out that most of the humming came from my computer because it's 1 metre from my mic. I bought 4 metre one it much better but still there's still a little bit of noise which I will try to reduce the unwanted noise with your plugins recommendation, I hope these will help. If you have any suggest plugins or technics to make the vocal stand out and clear please let me know. I am using cubase sx 3. Thanks for the responds, guys.

Ta, V

Your real solution is to get far enough away from the PC that you don't hear it. Use a closet, either to record your vocals in, or to put the PC in.

If you absolutely cannot get away from the PC to the point that you can't hear it, a gate after the fact could be a possible solution. But only if the above is completely impossible.

However, you will have to make sure that in the final mix, you don't hear the gate 'closing' on the noise between phrases; you don't want to hear a fraction of noise after a line, followed by absolute silence.
So it depends on how loud the music is, and how loud the noise is.

Apart from that, rolling off lows around 80hz or so on vocal/acoustic tracks in mixing is a good guideline for eliminating low-frequency 'mud' in your tracks, stuff that just takes up headroom on your tracks and masks other frequencies. Save the lows for the bass and drums.

Good Luck,
C.

candles, all lights completely off, wine for pleasant or sombre or soft vocals, tea for earthy, or crisp vocals, or whiskey for hard edged vocals.

A relaxed environment, with an open minded attitude as to however it's to be done, so as to make the vocalist comfortable. An understanding of the message/story of the song, and how one might coach (in a relaxed way) a vocalist to best execute that. It's kind of like juggling, and it's a skill that you may or may not pick up, but will only improve your vocalists' takes. Voice is the one instrument that can't lie, and if people don't believe what the vocalist is singing, it's ineffective.

note: wine is more for setting the mood than having any effect on the vocals. Whiskey is nice if you're really into doing some hard edged shit where your vocal cords could used to be fucked a bit, and of course we all know what tea is like.

I tell you, you do the more psychological techniques, and no matter what mic you use or where you put it, you'll notice an improvement. I'd rather have a great take than a great mic any day. Find the sweet spot with any singer where they tend to give their best takes, and make sure to get into that zone as much as possible. Everyone has their own zone. Some people do the best on the first few takes, some people it takes a while to get going. Some people like it rapid fire cycle recording, some people more prefer to have it slower paced. Some people the entire song, some people sections at a time. Just use your intuition (that's more of the name of the game than anything someone could teach you about recording vocals), and make sure, with everything you do, to keep the psychological concerns at the front of your mind. If you're having technical problems, try to play it as smooth as you can, not be visibly stressed or panicked... just say, okay I'm just doing some last minute technical stuff before we get going...would you like a drink? Never rush a vocalist, or act like you are pressed for time. Just create a really good atmosphere, that is one that someone could be very comfortible to explore the full capabilities of their voice, without inhibitions, and this also creates an atmosphere of openness, that will make it easier for you to coach the vocalist, without them getting defensive (trust me...you want to coach the vocalist... you really want to... You should know how it aught to sound, so, without being to invasive...coach the damn vocalist.)

Other than that, put a mic that's not too shitty in front of the vocalist with a windscreen/pop filter, using your ears to pick a spot that doesn't sound TOO terrible, and hit record. If the vocalist is the right one for the recording, you'll get good results, even without thinking of mic choices, preamps, cables, etc.. (those can always help, but it's MUCH more important to achieve the other stuff first, before you even think about the technical end)

As far as the specific questions. Put the mic in another room and close the door... get long cables...and a long headphone cable... line of sight is nice, but it's better to be rid of huge amounts of noise. Set up a mic in your room that goes to the headphones so you can talk back to the other person... or you could just walk into the other room between takes (that's what I do, I just think it makes it a bit more personal to work with the vocalist face to face and give them some bit of physical feedback between each take..that's just the way I work tho.. you could do a talkback mic)

The hum could mean...a bad mic, bad cable, or grounding issues. Make sure your stuff is properly grounded. My alcohol ridden brain can't quite remember all of the particulars from those electronics classes I took, but just do a web search and it should tell you how to get rid of hum (get rid of it before you record, not after)

A closet can be a bit too small of a space, in my opinion. I've never had great results with them, or with bathrooms. If it's too cramped, it might sound more boxy, and "lumpy".

Get a quieter computer/or try some liquid cooled solution (my computers are quiet enough that I could record in the same room, and it probably wouldn't show up on a recording unless I compressed the ever living fuck out of it, more than would sound good anyway (the inherent noise of the mic would be about as much of a problem in that case). My G4 would be way too loud to record anywhere near, so if it were in the same room...off it goes... or, I just record as far away from it as poss.

Last edited:
Hey tribal, Cosmic and Massive Master are giving it to you straight.
Also you want to make sure what is causing the hum. Ground problems can cause a low hum. Here's a link to check it out.

http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/gnd_loop.pdf

Another thing you might want to try is standing a hardshell guitar case opened up on a chair and placing the mic inside it to record acoustic guitar or vocals. That isolates the room reflections pretty darn good for free and gives you a nice studio sound.

Back