What's your recommendation?

JoeNewbie

I'm new to the synth/sound modual arena & I'm
looking for some modual recommendations...

I've got an Alesis QS6.1 for my controller and basic sounds... I want something that has a unique sound bank that can cover lots of styles. i.e. industural, techno, h.h., funk

You might want to check into soft synths like Reaktor, Generator, VAZ, Reality, Sureal, or Retro. These are all very popular and highly regarded. Although I haven't used any of them...yet, I've read positive reviews in mags like Computer Music and Future Music, and others.

Man... I really didn't like the VAZ interface.... I tried the GRM tools from Steinberg and loved the outcome.... any experience with other plugin's along those lines?

I have a jv1080 and it's a nice start....lots of sounds, easy to use, easy to edit and it's expandable. Since the new xv series has come out, you can probably find some bargains....try ebay.....

If you want ultimate flexibility...

...check out the Nord Modular series. You need a PC or Mac to edit the sounds, and you need to understand how synthesizers work on the inside. Kinda expensive ($1200 for the rack) but you'll get any analog type sounds you can imagine from it. Has a vocoder module, for example!
And it doubles as an excellent stereo sound processor...

If you want analog type sounds, but don't want the flexibility of a modular syth (it can be daunting) Clavia also have the Nord Lead series.

Back