What's your Noise Floor?

MX3282

I've been recording using an aardvark Pro Q10 through a Behringer MX3282A Mixer. My software is Adobe Audition and I have a 2.4 G processor with a Gig of RAM. Tonight I turned on the "Monitor record levels" under the options tab. The level meter read -51 db. I shut everything off (faders and Muted all channels), unplugged my patch cable from my Sub group out to my Aardvark, and still it reads -52 db. I'd like to improve that, can someone offer some suggestions or is that just noise coming from my computer fans? Let me know your setup and what your Noise Floors are so I can compare and make changes.

Maybe a different audio interface? or Maybe a quieter computer?

Don't be shy

It seems people are reluctant to share their noise floors in here. I'd just like to know where I am in relation to where everybody else is at and look for ways that can help me improve my sound quality.

Maybe that information can help someone else too.

I read your post a few days ago and was confused. You talk about shutting everything off and checking the noise floor. Then you ask if this could be from the computer fans. How could the computer fans be a factor if you shut everything off?

Do you want people to post the noise floor of their sound card/interface with no inputs connected?

Audio interface Noise

I guess I must be looking for the noise level of the audio interface since that seems to be the only device hooked up to my computer. My mixer isn't powered up, monitors aren't turned on, nothing plugged into my Aardvark, but it still reads -51db.

Thanks for any info.

Is that with the software mixer levels up though? The Q10 has built in pre's right? So if their levels are up then that noise level reading would make more sense. If the pre's are muted though then that is not a good noise level. My USB interface's is around -85dB, and with the pres fully up is about -55.

Something you could try is record the noise/silence and boost it to an audible level to see what it sounds like. if it's a grungy, grainy or whiny sound then it's defo the sounds of your computer leaking through.

I'm not sure if this is a case of "internal soundcards are noisier than external ones" but i wouldn't be surprised if that were true. Is your computer quite loud then?

Noise even when muted

Yeah, I'd say my comp is pretty loud. It's a custom Lian Li tower with (if you count the video card colling fan) has 7 cooling fans in it. It's got the led cooling fans and colored flourescent tube lighting inside.

If there are other Q10 users out there, let me know what your getting on your Monitor Record Levels. I'm recording in Adobe Audition. All my Q10 faders are down and muted. Still no change.

I recorded some muted silence and went into edit view and zoomed in on the wave. It recorded a noise level of -67 to -68db. Looks like computer noise to me.

-85 db sounds real good to me. I wish I could acheive that.

noise.PNG

Channel 9 has a mic plugged in, so its a little up on the rest

I can get -50dB with a VTB-1 preamp cranked and nothing plugged into that preamp, otherwise with the pre all the way down but still connected its -85dB in cubase.

Unplugged my flourescent lights

Ok, I "switched off" my flouescent lights (2) and did a silent record. Still reading the same -67db.

I also unplugged "one" cooling fan that exhausted out the back of the comp. Figured that since I had the side panel removed it wouldn't do any harm...Still have a -67db.

I also unplugged another cooling fan that exhausted out the top which was also tied into my CD Burner. Did a nother record...still at -67db. Computer got alot quieter but still lots of "noise" present in my recording.

Last edited:
Noise Floor Test

Still looking for answers to my noise problem, I came across this article. thought it might help someone.

My audio interface (Aardvark Pro Q10) is powered by the computer.

http://realcare.intervoice.com/voicerecording/sf_noisetst.html

Noise Floor Test

A high noise floor is a common cause of poor audio quality and clicks in compressed files. Recordings made with high background noise will not provide a clear voice sound during playback. Always check the background noise and a noise floor of the recording studio and equipment before starting a recording session.

Perform this test regularly on systems used to record voice messages.

To run the noise floor test:

1. Ensure that:

1. Microphone levels on the preamplifier are set correctly for a recording session, that is, as loud as possible without causing clipping.

2. Recording attributes are: 11,025 Hz, 16 bit, Mono.

2. Make a silent recording:

1. Ensure that the recording studio is as quiet as possible.

2. Open a new sound file.

3. Record five seconds of silence at the standard volume level. (Do not speak while recording.)

4. Close the Record dialog box.

3. Set the DC offset removal:

1. With the sound file window open and that window selected, select Process > DC Offset. The DC Offset window appears.

2. Ensure that Automatically detect and remove is selected.

3. Click OK.

4. View statistics:

1. Select Tools > Statistics.
The Statistics window appears.
(Be sure the appropriate sound file window is still selected.)

2. Verify that the RMS level (dB) is below 60 dB (for example, –65 dB).

3. Verify that the Average value (dB) statistic is 0.

4. Click OK.

The voice message fails the test if the noise floor is louder than –60 dB.

Note Louder noise is represented by a lower negative number; for example, a –55dB noise floor is louder than –60 dB. Noise floors greater than –60 dB (for example, –55 or –50 dB) can be heard in the playback process, can degrade the quality, and can cause pops and other audible degradation during the compression process.

A noise floor test may fail because the room noise is too loud due to items such as air conditioning, PC fan, or a paging system, or if the sound card preamplifier is noisy.

5. Correct any problems before continuing to record.

Back