What's your "live" trigger setup?

soundprizm

What's up people?! Anybody out there using triggers in there live setup?

I've been messin' around with my setup for a little under a year now, and still haven't found the right software solution for the job. I'd like to get an idea of what other people are using. The way I use triggers is very similar to the way Danny Carey uses them in Tool (triggering samples/clips while playing the acoustic kit).

Here's my setup:
Custom made drum trigger "pipes" going into my 4u Rack unit consisting of a Furman Power Conditioner, Alesis DM4 Drum Module, Tascam US-1641, and my 1u Rack PC.

I'd like to be able to trigger the samples from the trigger pads, and trigger the clips from the computer keyboard keys. Each song has about 3-4 different samples, and the set has about 3 sound clips... so muting and grouping is an issue as well. Another issue I have is volume levels, some samples are louder than others... methods that deal with that issue would be cool as well!

Any and all feedback is welcome, and appreciated!

I use an Alesis DM-4 connected to a Yamaha A4000 Sampler (via Midi) in my 6U rack. Also in the rack are a 24 point patchbay, a Sony 1u Minidisk for recorded sequences, and a 4 port DI. I have a Yamaha MG10 mixer on a mic stand mount next to me as the control center.

Samples are mapped to the various midi notes assigned to three 6" dauz pads and one Pintech rim mounted stereo trigger. Triggers are patched into the DM4 via the Patchbay inputs (keeps things cleaner).

I can either move between sample banks via the A4000 controls, or in some cases, have samples mapped to a different midi channel and switch on the DM4 (Midi 10 to 9 etc.)

My Vocal mic plugs into Ch. 1 of the Yamaha mixer which has an Insert jack that I use as a Direct Out to one of the DI input ports which outputs to our main PA.

Minidisk stereo sequences are split to channels 2 panned hard left (sequences) and 3 panned hard right (click track) on the Yamaha mixer.

The A4000 samples are input into channels 5 and 6 on the mixer.

From there, the sequences and samples go to Aux 1 on the mixer, and the Aux 1 send connects to port 2 on the DI and then out to the main PA.

I have earbuds connected to the earphone jack on the Yamaha mixer.

Clear as mud so far? :D

Basically what this does is allows me to control individual levels to my in-ear monitors as well as output volume to the PA via the Yamaha mixer... Samples, sequences, click, my vox... Works pretty slick!

:)

Wow... intense setup! Very similar to a setup I read in an article of Computer Music Magazine... very cool. I have yet to find any drummers using soft-samplers or soft-synths though! Thanks for sharing the info man, very much appreciated!

I've got a set of cheap stick-on triggers that are hooked up to a D4.

The only thing unusual I'm doing is that the kit looks like a 1920's kit and I use two triggers on the snare. One triggers a snare sound and the other has a different threshold so it only comes on when you hit real hard and near it, and that one triggers hand claps, so I bring that in on the choruses.

I use a Behringer KX1200 to play it through and put it behind my kit. I don't go through the pa so the acoustic and electric sounds come from the same place on stage and blend into one thing.

I hooked up switch I have mounted on my snare that goes into the D4 that loops around the different sets, so I can change sounds right at my kit real easy.

Back