Phildo

I heart guitars!
Here's mine - we play indie/droney/alt-country/noise-out stuff:

Guitars:
Fender CIJ Jazzmaster
Gretsch Elliott Easton (Open G Tuning)
Rickenbacker 330-12 (drop D)
Takamine EG520s
Line 6 Variax (backup – for all of the above!)
Yamaha SG1300T (with GK3A pickup driving Roland GR20)

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybabby Wah
Boss BCB-60 with:
Boss TU-2
Fretware Sound City Fuzz
Danelectro Rocky Road
Fretware Machine-Gun Repeat
Marshall Vib-Trem
Korg D301 Dynamic Delay

Amp:
Fender Blues Deville 4x10

The Fretware pedals are built by a local amp guru called Don Audio who’s also made stuff for Will Sergeant, John Squire, Brendan Croker and Peter Green. The Fuzz is beautiful – no break-up as notes decay, tons of definition on both chords & single notes. Lovely. The Machine-Gun Repeat is a slightly wonky sounding square-ish wave trem with a non-latching switch which sounds fantastic. The Marshall trem replaced a Boss trem which is gorgeous and undoubtedly a better pedal, but the Marshall cuts it better live, dunno why (heh…2 trems on my board). The Korg delay is superb. Almost completely unreliable, but when it works it’s incredible. I’ve spent the last year looking for THE delay sound and been through four or five delay pedals until I remembered I had this. It’s spray-painted orange to obscure the controls, to help make random sounds. Programmable, too – it’ll hold two sounds. Theoretically. When it works. Which is by no means all the time.

This is about my third board setup this year, and I think I’ve finally nearly got it right. Maybe. Now if I can just find a vintage Boss Analogue delay and find room for a Toadworks Death Rattle…

The DeVille has also had the Don Audio touch, with the result that the drive channel is now actually usable!

I don’t tend to use all the guitars at the same gig, but I like to have them there all the same. Sort of a comfort blanket. Although sometimes I’ll just take out my Squire Strat and the Variax. Consistent I’m not.

Reactions: XLR
I don't actually gig, but in terms of jamming with friends and such, I just keep it simple: SG standard -> Mesa Subway Rocket (combo)
Sure it doesnt have all the sounds of a variax, but it does do all the ones I want really well, from a face ripping distortion to a slightly dirty clean sound, which can be adjusted to give me a second distortion sound since the "clean" channel has a gain knob itself.
I do have a crybaby but its the cheapest one they make, it has harsh treble, no true bypass and just the overall sound of it has started to annoy me, so I may get a new wah, but I definitely need something with a unique sound that I wont get sick of right away if I'm going to start using a wah pedal again.

Guitars
-------
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Strat

Pedals
------
Boss TU-2 - tuner
Ibanez Tube Screamer - overdrive
Boss DD3 - delay

Amp
----
Fender Vibrolux Custom Reverb

...and that's all the weather :)

BTW - the best delay I've ever heard is the Roland Space echo tape unit.

hey ibanezrocks,

I also used a crybaby for a while but recently I bought the crybaby classic and it's much better. It has true bypass, it doesn't give that ice-pick harshness and it's much more responsive. By that I mean, the transition between the pedal-up/pedaL-down positions is much smoother. I love it !

Well....this one's unusual. This is the setup for our live duo act...

Manson Custom fretless bass into a Digitech BNX3. Or a '73 Ibanez 335 clone through a Sansamp BASS driver DI. (Only one at a time) Outputs from both into the mixer. Separate output from the BNX3 carrying the recorder / sampler / looper output. The BNX3 also acts as a bass synth / octaver / general mayhem creator.

Singer runs an AKG900B into a TC Helicon Voicelive harmony / FX box, which is preset for each song and which she controls with her feet.

Output from the mixer is split, with voice, guitar and recorder etc output from the BNX3 going to the PA, the recorder output also going with the bass to a separate power amp then a 210 bass cab.

We get a remarkably full sound for a duo :)

my 'Keep It Simple, Stupid' approach:

Fender strat (backup = pawn shop tempo grande)

A/B amps
Jcm 800 for dirt
Fender Stage 160 for clean

Offbrand tuner
Crybaby

sometimes i mess around with a stereo flange between the amps

Mesa Triple Rectifier (special order chrome chassis)
Mesa Recto 4x12 cab (chrome side armor)
A nice pile of effects (Electro Harmonix, Boss, Dunlop, Rocktron, Korg, Digitech)
Parker Fly Deluxe (silver)
Parker Fly Supreme (honey flamed maple)
ESP Horizon Custom (metallic purple)

What I need if I start playing live again (haven't played a live show since 2002), I really need one of those Bradshaw or Rocktron switching units for my pedals. I'm tired of tap dancing.

For electric gigs

Schwab custom 5 string electric mandolin
Marshall JCM800 50 watt 1X12 channel switching combo
Fulltone Fulldrive, Clyde, Deja Vibe

Occasionally I'll get out a strat or a 77 Music Man Stingray

Acoustic

Givens mandolin with schertler Dyn-m through PA
Martin D19, thinline, through a sansamp di and the PA

Guitars:
Schecter C-1
Ibanez EX2570 (dont remember the exact model)

Pedals:
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball Volume pedal
Boss AC-2
Dunlop Original Cry-baby
Tech 21 XXL (original)
(now im ust looking for a good delay unit)

Amps:
Crate GLX 1200H w/ 2x150 watt BLB Sound boutique cabs
100 watt bass amp (only if im playing more metalish type stuff)

Last edited:
Guitars
PRS Custom 22
Gibson LP Studio Plus

Amp/Cab
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (in road case at bottom of 8 space rack)
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Standard Rectifier Cab (in road case, with Sennheiser e609s)

Rack
Furman Power Conditioner
Rack Light
TC Electronic G-Major (also controls my amp channel switching)
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Shure ULXS-14 Wireless Unit
Marshall JMP-1 Pre Amp (not currently used)

Pedal Board
board is also a road case

DMC Ground Control Pro
Morley Bad Horsie Wah II
Digitech Whammy Pedal

Access/Other
Dunlop Tortex Red Pics
Mic Stand mounted to pedal board
Shure SM58 Vocal mic
Mogami & Monster cables
Ebow

Heads
2 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Heads
1 Mesa Boogie Bass head

Cabs
2 Mesa Boogie 4x12 cabs
1 Mesa Boogie bass cab with 4x10 and 1x15

Guitars
Schecter C1+
Epiphone SG
Epiphone bass vintage

Drums
Pork Pie toms, kick, and snare
Zildjian Cymbals and high hat

Cables
All Monster Cable!!! :cool:

Mixer/Speakers
400W Powered Mixer
2 Peavey 15" PA Speakers

Mics
Shure Beta 58A
Shure SM58

Other
Boss TU-2 Tuners

Thats about it :D

I hate hauling gear around so I keep it as small and simple as I can, and still get a decent sound. I mostly play small places so this makes it easier.

guitar(s)---Vantage 600VS
Ibanez RG170

amp(s)-----Fender Princeton Chorus
Ibanez GX60

efx---------DOD FX7

This is subject to change without notice or advance warning.

72 Gibson ES335
68 Fender Super Reverb

I just started using a wah and a compressor, haven't used pedals for a long time.

Back