What's your favorite Guitar tone/sound?!

anything Eddie Van Halen plays....2 seconds into a song, you can instantly tell it's him playing....got his own sound and style

Executivos said:
Jimmy Eat Worlds most recent record (untitled) All of the guitar tones are sick, but in song number 8 "Get it Faster" there's an interlude of sorts and the guitar tones are amazing.

That's the vibe I've been feeling these days, too. Another band whose guitar sound I'm really digging these days is Bowling for Soup.

If you wanna go classic, gotta love early VH, and actually I really liked the tones on the VH 5150 album, too. Slash's tone is killer, too.

I love the high gain crunch of Converge's guitarist on their earlier stuff. It's the opposite of the popular scooped mids, but the sound is easily 10 times more devastating. Think cranked Marshall, mids at 7 or 8, bass at maybe 3, and treble at ~5.

As for my sound, I'm more a fan of a Fender tube amp on the distortion channel with the gain between 5 and 7 and then EQ as appropriate for the volume level. And nothing sounds as good as a Fender clean that is just breaking up.

Another Metallica guy here - love the big crunch of Het's guitars.

Pete Anderson - smokin. I'm a huge fan of Dwight's and Pete's. Also the guy who has taken over for Pete, Keith Gattis. Great player, awesome tones.

I dig that liquidy sound Santana gets.

Knophler has great tone.

But really - my fave is my Les Paul plugged into any good tube amp and cranked. No effects but a little 'verb. Maybe a **** hair of delay to get some spacey shit happening.

I did a TV show with Gordie Johnson (Big Sugar, Grady) a few years back. I interviewed him, we went guitar shopping (browsing) and then jammed - just 2 guitars. That was cool. I used to be a big fan of his sound, but he has played SO LOUD, for SO LONG, that he is deaf. His tone, playing and singing have gone to shit, sad to say. I've maybe seen him 10 times. Downhill....

THis week it is Joe Bonamassa! He is using strats, teles, LP's into Silver Jubilees and Buddas. (buddas are for more clean i think.) Here it is live.

Awesome blusey rock tone. Nice and fat with out being to tight.

I absolutely love Neil Young's Like a Hurricane tone. Brian May, Angus Young and Mick Ronson are right up there, too. And for everyday rhythm playing, I think Stone Gossard nails it.

My favorite guitar tones are
VanHalen - anything from the first 2 albums
Scorpions - Blackout
David Gilmour - anything from Wish You Were Here, or Animals
Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs
Pat Travers- Snortin' Whiskey
Judas Priest - everything they play sounds kick ass

Now for Something More Left of the Dial...

David Bowie - Heroes
The Velvet Underground - I'm Waiting for the Man; What Goes On; Sister Ray
Roxy Music - All I Want Is You
My Bloody Valentine - To Here Knows When
The Verve - Catching the Butterfly
The Stone Roses - Elephant Stone; I am the Resurrection
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Down by the River; Cortez the Killer; Country Home
Pavement - Summer Babe (Winter Version); Loretta's Scars
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Jesus and Mary Chain - You Trip Me Up
Joy Division - Atrocity Exhibition; Day of the Lords; Shadowplay
The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing
Elvis Costello - Blame It on Cain; Miracle Man
Television - Venus; Marquee Moon
The Stooges - Loose
The Smiths - The Boy With the Thorn in His Side; Cemetry Gates
Pixies - Rock Music

Billy Duffy/The Cult great straight up rock on Electric
Page/zep 1 I can't quit you babe still does it for me after all these years of overplaying
The Supersuckers Marshalls and Goldtop Les Pauls...you can almost hear the Goldtop
Larissa from Laughing Hyneas-a patient guitarist
Josh Homme qotsa rock'n the ovation electrics and ampeg toobs-go with the flow off of song for the deaf

Lotsa good ones already mentioned like Brian May..Billy Duffy ,"Electric" very cool raw stuff..Jeff Beck...Also Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Animal and later Alice Cooper albums..Great ripping sound,P90's and HiWatts!

mrplow said:
Now for Something More Left of the Dial...

David Bowie - Heroes
The Velvet Underground - I'm Waiting for the Man; What Goes On; Sister Ray
Roxy Music - All I Want Is You
My Bloody Valentine - To Here Knows When
The Verve - Catching the Butterfly
The Stone Roses - Elephant Stone; I am the Resurrection
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Down by the River; Cortez the Killer; Country Home
Pavement - Summer Babe (Winter Version); Loretta's Scars
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Jesus and Mary Chain - You Trip Me Up
Joy Division - Atrocity Exhibition; Day of the Lords; Shadowplay
The Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing
Elvis Costello - Blame It on Cain; Miracle Man
Television - Venus; Marquee Moon
The Stooges - Loose
The Smiths - The Boy With the Thorn in His Side; Cemetry Gates
Pixies - Rock Music
oooh gooodies! i have to say MBV's "to here knows when" is the most awesome sounding guitar(s?) song ever

also i really like the guitar sounds of mid 90s era flaming lips with ronald jones on guitar and scott cortez's 4 track masterpieces in the lovesliescrushing album xuvetyn.

Back