what's wrong with this mix?

nickjc

hi,

there's somthing wrong with this mix to my ears but I can't figure it - the guitars sounds kind of out of tune, but I know they are perfectly in tune (it took some time to get them right). could it be an effect I'm using? (applied in Cool Edit Pro 2) or is it just my ears?

any comments on the song, performance and production are greatly appreciated and will be rewarded with the fire of a thousand suns :D

the song is called "newmarket"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/nickjcmusic.htm

cheers and gracias mi amigos

nickjc said:
hi,

there's somthing wrong with this mix to my ears but I can't figure it - the guitars sounds kind of out of tune, but I know they are perfectly in tune (it took some time to get them right). could it be an effect I'm using? (applied in Cool Edit Pro 2) or is it just my ears?

It's not you, there's definitely some pitchy stuff there. When you say "in tune" did you check that the intonation on the guitars was right? Sounds like one of the guitars was going sharp as the player went up the neck.

I'm not expert but I suspect it's the choice of electronic sounds. On an analogue drum machine for example it is possible to tune the drums sounds.

Also, is it just me or have you put a chorus effect on the guitars? If so that's your problem, chorus works but making a second sound which is slightly out of pitch with the original signal to making it sound bigger. It doesn't always work on accoustic guitar though.

hey thanks

hey guys,

wow good ears! yes I am using chorus on the guitars, but I did not know that's what that effect does.

also, the beats are from fruityloops, which automatically pirches them to C, and now I think of it, the song is in G, so probably an idea to change that as well . . .

will have to start over. thanks for the heads up on the chorus - damn this forum is good to have around!

production aside, any thoughts on the song itself? is it "in the ballpark", so to speak? be honest now . . .

nickjc said:
wow good ears! yes I am using chorus on the guitars, but I did not know that's what that effect does.

Take it off, you can use it on electric guitars ok but on accoustic it will make the guitar sound out of tune. Now, that I know you had chorus on it I wouldn't worry about the drums' pitch; it was a possibility at the time but I've never had to alter the tuning of any of my songs regardless of tuning so I am pretty certain that's not an issue. I think taking the chorus off will solve the problem. No need to redo everything.

If you've added chorus to make a dull guitar sound brighter then I'm afraid that won't work. You'll need to work on your mic'ing technique and be sure to record the guitar in an environment which is accousticly bright.

Back