What's wrong with Behringer?

RWhite said:
Let me add one more opinion. I have a 802a mixer. I really don't use it for mic recording, but have it hooked up in my computer room for line mixing. I use it for things like transfering old cassettes to digital.

Is it a great mixer? No. But I have no real complaints about it, and for $100 I have gotton great milage out of it. For someone just starting out I think it's a great buy. 8 channels, 4 mic pres, Aux outs, phantom power, for $100? Can't beat that with a stick.

I like my Aleisis Studio 32 mixer which I actually record on much better, but that cost me almost $800, so it SHOULD be better. I think the Behringer would be fine for a beginner starting out, and it will allow you to spend limted $$$ on other things like mics. If you continue to pursue recording you can buy a better mixer later, and probably still find a use for your Behringer - remote / live stuff, a keyboard mixer, a monitor mixer, whatever. Or just sell it on E-Bay.

HOWEVER - having said all that, I'll add this. Enough people have complained about Behringer quality that you would be very wise to carefully check out the mixer once you buy it. Most stores have a very limted time period where they will exchange defective merchandise. Check out everything on it - all the inputs, outs, Aux, headphone jack - and if something doesn't sound right or is unusually noisy, take it back and exchange it for a different one. You don't want to find out that channel 7 is noisy weeks after you buy it and then be stuck with a lemon.

yea the store im going to buy it from has a 30 day money back/exchange policy so thats no problem...thanks for ur post

..............1 question!

Has any one here compared the specs of Behringer's pre's versus,
say an ordinary Peavy or Nady mixer??
Input sensitivity? dbu pad? output ratings? max input load?
Reliabilty and perf with both hi & lo sensitive mics?

Just curious!

Need 30 day smoke-test -etc

I've told this story before but... The right channel level LEDs went out about the 3rd day on my brand new factory-sealed ub1622fx pro.

Whoever gave the advice about buying it somewhere with a good return policy was right on. It would have cost me shipping to replace it if I got it online, and my broke-ass would have been pissed. Plus I got to keep using the defective one until the new one came in.

I'm now on my second 30 day trial to see if one of these things will survive normal usage for that long (I've seen the old mx boards last pretty well). I'm going to put it thoroughly through all paces. So for me the jury is still out...

There is validity in the old addage "You get what you pay for".

There have been some good points made about:

The weakest link in your signal chain, (If you are using soundblaster D/As which link is weaker)

and

Points of diminishing returns for spending more money, that make a lot of sense too. A $500 mixer is better, but is it really $400 better? (probably more applicable as you go up the price curve- like $500 to $2000 is it $1500 better?) - probably not to my ears right now.

I've bought Behringer, I've used Behringer, I've returned Behringer.

It's a hit or miss proposition on quality. When it works it's a good inexpensive solution.

I never use it for inward facing sound just on stuff coming out of the computer.

Overall if there is another low cost solution you might be happier with non-Behringer gear.

I have used the MX8000 48x24 for several years and no complaints here. I think this was the unit Mackie sued B over. I wouldnt use the mic pres for anything of high quality.

With Mackie going overseas I think B Bashing will become a lost art. Actually B probably forced Mackie to move overseas. Of course most Mackie owners will swear how much better the Mackie is.........

Also in most every review I have read, their new digital mixer receives huge raves. Not only bang-for-the-buck, but quality too.

You may want to read this review.
www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/AX701GG.pdf
I found it helpful in deciding.
I bought an MX802a, and have been happy with it for $79. Mine is fine, although I did have to return a previously purchased 602 because it was noisy. For the money you won't find anything else with the features. I needed enough preamps to record drums, but not enough cash for good preamps. If you only need one preamp, you may be better off with something like the new Studio Projects preamp, but it's 2 1/2 times the cost for one channel.
And yes, I've used much better equipment and know the difference.

You may want to read this review.
www.audioxpress.com/reviews/media/AX701GG.pdf
I found it helpful in deciding.
I bought an MX802a, and have been happy with it for $79. Mine is fine, although I did have to return a previously purchased 602 because it was noisy. For the money you won't find anything else with the features. I needed enough preamps to record drums, but not enough cash for good preamps. If you only need one preamp, you may be better off with something like the new Studio Projects preamp, but it's 2 1/2 times the cost for one channel.
And yes, I've used much better equipment and know the difference.

Behringer Mixer

I bought a new 16 channel Behringer, it was a great value (I thought). It really was disappointing! There is no head room, and distorted at less then full levels. I couldn't believe it! I sold it for $75 less then I paid for it and bought a Mackie, which I love! Hope this helps. Peace - Mitch

damn... its sorta 50/50 right now. some say i should invest, some are on the negative side....i guess i have to experiment myself to actual see which mixer suites my needs...thanks for all ur replies by the way, appreciate it.

The issue of headroom and transient response are the biggest issues on the low end mixers. Compared to my Soundcraft which is very smooth and can be pushed fairly hard without breakup, my Behringer cannot even remotely keep up. It starts to sound harsh at higher volumes and cannot handle the peaks of a punchy vocal or drums. This is why I don't let the Beheringer touch the signals going in but only coming out of my computer for monitoring.

I guess I missed your original thought. Do you have budgetary constraints, or are you just looking for a high quality piece of equipment? We seem to be comparing items that are quite varied in price.

Good point. However, a mixer that ruins your tracks (or ears) is not a deal at any price. Save your $ a little longer and go for a good used Mackie, I got mine on eBay for only a few hundred dollars more then I paid for the Behringer. It will work and sound better, as well as retain it's resale value. Peace - Mitch:cool:

i can understand the quality control thing now..
i like the mx900 its a great console and usually sounds great over the times i've used them.. but a friend just got one..
granted he doesn't have a good outboard pre so he used the behringers...he has a C1..
tell me why brand new out the box.. ch1,5,9 and 14 pres don't even work???WTF??
each channel sounded different.. the cleanest pres were on ch 7 or 8...some where noisy some where distorted as fu*k and 7-8 just happen to sound great.. low noise, no distortion...

i was thinking about getting me a mx9000 b/c i can get one for around $750 and i can't think of another console in that price range that can really match the mx9000.. but i'm no trying to have all the problems that my friend has..

the compressors.. i've heard they're great...mics the b2 sounds decent.. its just a nt2 though...Truth monitors, not the best but for $399.. what the hell.. tern down the hi's to -2 and you have some decent monitors...i hear b is working on a new console like the D8B...can't wait to see what mackie says about that..

Apparently the quality control issue is a very big concern with these mixers. I did return my first one, and the one I have now is working fine. If your local store will match the mail order prices, as mine did, you can exchange it if necessary.
If you are going to spend as much on a Behringer as a Mackie (used) and the Mackie has not been abused, go with the Mackie.
Just know that there are people using Behringers that aren't having problems with them. The MX802a is a steal at $79, and sounds OK. Mine is very quiet, much quieter than any of my mics.

I don't know much about the UB series. It's my understanding that the preamps are supposed to be better, but they use the same opamps as the MX, so I don't know about that.
I bought the MX802a because it was a good deal. I didn't want to sink more money into a mixer than necessary, and I wanted to get a good preamp for recording vocals and acoustic guitar, so any money spent on a board takes away from that. I bought the Behringer mainly for recording drums.
If your priorities are different, your choice may be different. What will you use the Behringer for?

Back