What's with the buzz?

Squashboy

I've decided to sell my guitar and get something nice, a real good one to last me . . oh like a thousand years or so. My price range is right around 1200 bucks (assuming I can get a decent amount for the guitar that I'm selling. I'm pretty sure I can). So here's my dilemma:

I took my uncle with me to look at guitars. He's and incredible guitarist, and I thought he could help me pick a good one, but he's not much of a "communicator." I'd hand him a guitar to try out and he'd say something like, "hmm," or "interesting."

Of course, all this time, I think everything HE plays sounds great. Finally, after trying several guitars, he says, "this is a good one."

And it certainly was, but it was a Taylor 914 (or something, I can't remember exactly) and cost nearly 3000 bucks. I told him I was hoping to find something a little less expensive, but still good. So he played some more guitars. I'd really had my eye on the Taylor 314ce, but my uncle told me it really buzzed, and playing it myself, I could tell that it did. So he didn't really help much and I left the store more confused than before.

Later I went back--on my own--and told the salesman, "I really like this 314ce, but I think it has a bit too much of a buzz." He agreed, but said that it just needed a little "adjusting." So I said, "well, go adjust it then." So he left.

While he was gone another salesman came to help. I explained the situation to him. He told me that most Taylors have a buzz, and it's just the way their neck is built, and that if the buzz really bothered me I should go with a Martin D-35 or something.

A while later the other salesman came back with the 314ce, and sure enough, it still buzzed (a little less, but not much less). Of course, it didn't buzz as much as the cheap guitars in the store, and it only buzzed when I plucked with a little more strength, but it felt weird paying 1300 bucks for something that wasn't perfect. So my question is . . . what's with the buzz? Is it something that I just shouldn't worry about? Is the "adjuster" guy just not doing his job? Is that particular 314 a lemon?

Squashboy.

When he is referring to the neck, he means that Taylors have a bolt-on neck, not a glued dovetail joint like a Martin. That actually makes them easier to adjust, this guitar should not buzz. I've played on a few of that model, they definately should not buzz. If an adjustment didn't cure it, then that particular guitar was miscut a little bit. Find another of the same model and give it a swing.

PS- I was looking at a 314, then I played a Yamaha Compass series guitar. And I hate Yamaha. But those new Compass series guitars are so sweet, and for around 1k.

Buy a Martin D-35?? Ok, and we have $4,000 to spend? Salespeople irk me.

I like salespeople fine. Some of my best friends...

But I DO NOT like salespeople who can't admit when they're out of their depth. Sounds like you met a store full of them. I agree with H2H that a brand new Taylor (or Martin, or Yamaha, for that matter) should not have any fret buzzing going on. At all. And you should be able to find a very nice instrument in your budget. You've been sold a line, that's all, by a salesperson who can't get past the "they all do that" excuse. Substitutes for "Beats the hell out of me; I don't know anything about these things." A little more honest, perhaps, but doesn't sell as much.

And if a whole shop full of guitars buzzes, it has a humidity problem, it displays guitars with rotten strings, or it is full of old stock. Find another store and keep looking at the Taylors. A good store with a good tech on hand will do you very well, indeed.

Looking online? Try http://www.elderly.com or http://www.guitarsam.com . A good store is based on good people. Don't get discouraged; they're out there. You will have to call them about Taylor prices and availability; they're not allowed to publish that stuff on the 'net. Well worth the exercise!

[Edited by Treeline on 08-29-2000 at 15:48]

Check out these two sites, too.

http://www.gruhn.com

http://www.mandoweb.com

Both are extremely reputable stores with many high-quality used guitars.

You can surf the web site, call them for complete descriptions, and then have a 24 hour to 48 hour approval. If you don't like it, no questions, send it back.

Costs you the shipping (~ $20)

foo

You might want to check out Larrivee guitars.They're Canadian all solid wood with a dove tail (no bolt) neck joint and you could get a really nice one with case for your budget.

I think you are all probably right about those salesmen. In fact, the one that brought back the buzzing guitar tried to act like he couldn't hear it, but after I showed him (several times) he consented. So either the guy is deaf (which, MAN, do you want a deaf guy working in a music store?), or he's just a creep (ding ding ding, we have a winner).

I have been a little reluctant to shop on-line for guitars, simply because I'm afraid I'll get a lemon. I've been tempted by a few guitars on e-bay, but it seems pretty risky. I guess if I know exactly what I'm looking for then it should be pretty safe. I will try those websites. If nothing else it will help me be a little smarter when it comes to figuring out what a fair price is for these guitars. If it's a significant difference in price, I might even buy one from them. This Monday the local Mars music store if having one of those grandisimo!--clearance!--closeout!--exclusive!--labor day! sales. You know the kind, where they act like they are not even making money. They are just GIVING stuff away. I even have to present my special invitation (mailed to me as a postcard) in order to get in. I must be pretty special.

.....yeah, right.

I'll see how their "drastically low prices" compare. (It makes me wonder, really, how low does a price have to be before it becomes DRASTIC?)

Thanks again for your info.

Squashboy.

Those Larivee's have such clean, light colored spruce! It makes me not want to touch it. My main guitar, a Martin, has this really yellow spruce with almost a curl in the wood. It's really cool, never seen anything like it again. Of course, I'm in to guitars that are really beat up looking and play great.

Still looking for that SRV #1 Strat.

No decent guitar should buzz. If it buzzes then something is out of adjustment or the frets need to be looked at. And
a little buzzing isnt to bad live but if you try and record
with it it will eventually drive you crazy. My Gibson ES335
buzzes on the G string between the 7th and 9th frets, needs
to go in the shop, my guild acoustic buzzes, my jackson, buzzes, my ovation buzzes, got to get one of each fixed or I am going to go NUTS.

While we're on the subject of buzzes. I had the weirdest thing happen to me this week. I pulled out my old Alvarez classical guitar, and decided to get it back in shape. I lowered the action a bit and put some new strings on it. Well, everything sounded great, except the b-string. It was the only string that buzzed. Now, this was weird. I mean, I'm used to having a certain fret buzz on all the strings, but I'd never seen just one string buzz all by itself. My friend and I were trying to figure this out, checking the guitar for loose joints or whatever. It sounded like it was buzzing down near the sound hole. I put on a bigger bridge, raising the action, but still the b-string was buzzing and only the b-string. Finally, after trying everything else, I said, "maybe it's the string." So we took it off, and put on a new string and wa-LA! No more buzz. That's the last time I buy Augustine strings. That b-string was new, but seriously wacked, and all the time I thought it was the guitar. Ah, what strange days are these.

Squashboy.

Might have been it, but I'd not be so quick to diss Augustine strings because of one experience. Stick with what you like until you like something else better.

Think of how manufacturers have to work to stay in business: big time volume. Acoustic Guitar magazine reports that fretted instrument string sales in 1999 topped $150 million. They played with the stats a bit, noting that just under 50 % of all 1,337,347 guitars reported sold in 1999 were acoustic guitars; 659,088 of them steel strings. From that they applied the percentages to the original number and concluded that over 10 million sets of acoustic steel string sets were sold in 1999.

With numbers like that, it's a wonder we don't find more buzzy B-strings. Even if they are nylon!

Back