What's with the AMD XP processors?

Well I would imagine that they will be rather good indeed. They have 64bit architechture and are designed to work best with Windows XP (suprise surprise). AMd are definately well ahead of Intel at the moment in terms of chip power but whether they will give a noticable difference in terms of performance in an audio setting remains to be seen.

Anyhow, Intel's chips are really overpriced. AMDs are faster and cheaper. I can't really understand why people would choose Intels right now. The old thing about compatability is utter mythology and I haven't heard of a single compatability problem relating to the chips themselves since the days of the K6. The problem lies with VIA motherboard chipsets which some hardware products don't like. Simple answer to that though is don't buy a mobo with a VIA chipset.:cool:

I checked som more reviews and it does indded look promising. However, I cannot get any clarity on Mobo requirements. Any thoughts? E.g. can the KK266 handle, and make good use of, an AMD XP?

I give a bit of an overview as to why Intel is a viable choice HERE. Take a look. I also provide links to CPU information that you can actually trust, and a current price list.

The Athlon XP does not have 64 bit architecture, as far as I know. I have no idea where you got that information. You're probably thinking of the Clawhammer. And the XP has nothing to do with Windows XP. You've gotta love misleading consumer marketing.

The XP stands for Xtended (or Xpanded, I forget) Performance. But you can bet they only picked that acronym so people would associate the new chip with the new version of Windows. Now, they get to ride on the coattails - for free - of one of the biggest computer product launches ever.

But no, it won't run Windows XP any better than another fast chip. The XP designation denotes a desktop Athlon made with the new Palomino core (as opposed to the Thunderbird core), which has been used for mobile Athlons for a while. It's a smaller micron manufacturing process, and thus can be scaled to slightly higher clock speeds (which they are going to hide from the consumer, anyway).

If you're planning to buy a new CPU, do your homework. There are a lot of reasons to pick AMD, and there are a lot of reasons to pick Intel. But asking people which is better, is not likely to get a response you can trust.

Re: doing my homework...

Eurythmic said:
The XP stands for Xtended (or Xpanded, I forget) Performance.

According to AMD (they should know, right?) it stands for Extreme Performance. Both Thunderbirds and XPs use 0.18-micron process (sure older T-birds didn't).

Not trying to pe picky here but do your homework first, before telling others to do so.

How can you be so certain that winXP doesn't benefit from the AMD XP? I'm not saying that it will but maybe these companies actually did talk to eachother during the development processes...

What makes tomshardware and sharkyextreme more trustworthy that other, similar sites? Just wondering why these are the places "you can trust".

I was not aware of the inadequate overheating protection and that is indeed one thing to consider. Not that I've had a heatsink or CPU fan failure in all the years I've been messing with computers. But then again, I've never had a HDD crash and I still do backups.

I do not doubt that the differences between the best AMD and the best P4 are small and if meassured, will be different from day to day. However, the difference in price is not small.

jdechant said:
I've heard that the XP's and MP's run considerably cooler than the thunderbirds... any truth to this?
I haven't seen it first hand but the reviews says so.

Back