What's the strangest song request you've had?

ROblows

A post in another thread got me thinking. What's the strangest song request you've ever had? Once my band was asked to "play some Pagliaro". Nobody in the band had any idea if that was a song or an artist. Apparantly, the reference was to Michel Pagliaro, whom nobody in the band had ever heard of. The person requesting it seemed quite suprised by that. Maybe it was just my ignorance, but it seemed like a strange request.

About 40 years ago we were playing at a small club on the 4th of July. We were a straight 60s rock group and played from 8-12. At 12, Flatt and Scruggs played next, which might give you some idea on the crown make up.

The request was for Stardust by Hoagie Carmichael.

Ed

This wasn't an odd request, but still very funny. We were playing a gig one night about 2 years ago and a guy yelled Freebird. Imagine that. Our lead guitar player at the time was not having a good night and proceeded to give the guy the finger. He then stepped up to the microphone and asked, "Was that free enough for ya'?"

-JV

None of us had a clue about the song, but two brothers in the audience did. One played guitar and ther other bass. The drummer (me in this case) and keyboard player (who played entirely by ear) also played. The man in the audience was thrilled and the club owner happy as a clam (as the customer was a big spender). We played there again many times.

Ed

Upon finding out that I play guitar, somebody asked me if I knew how to play "She's Like The Wind" by Patrick Swayze.

He was dead serious.

The lyrics to Itsy Bitsy Spider sung to the melody of Ghost Riders in the Sky.

I shit you not - this was our trademark song.

Purge said:
Upon finding out that I play guitar, somebody asked me if I knew how to play "She's Like The Wind" by Patrick Swayze.

:eek:

Oh, shit. I'd completely purged the existence of that song from my memory. Thanks alot for reminding me.

Playing a country club black tie dinner and a guy offered the band $100 tip if we'd do some Doors. I turned to the band and said "Roadhouse Blues in E. Follow me".

ROblows said:
:eek:

Oh, shit. I'd completely purged the existence of that song from my memory. Thanks alot for reminding me.
Sorry dude. :D

Figure it this way though: at least you didn't have to endure that experience. When you tell somebody you're a guitarist, you'd at least expect to get asked to play some VH, some Hendrix...y'know...something guitary. But apparently, I looked like I sucked so badly that I might be lucky to know a Swayze song.

Does that fucking song even have a guitar in it?? :mad:

Phyl said:
The lyrics to Itsy Bitsy Spider sung to the melody of Ghost Riders in the Sky.

I shit you not - this was our trademark song.

That is fucking brilliant, and I am so totally stealing that idea.

With your kind permission, of course. :p

On a similar line, why is there always one idiot. You arrive at a gig and tote in about a ton of gear and some moron asks "Oh, are you playing here tonight"? "No, I just do this for the exercise".

The guys I play with are a pretty rough looking bunch but some fool always asks..."Do you know any Jonie Mitchell?" We just smile and say, "No, but we're working on some." We lie a lot!

Track Rat said:
Playing a country club black tie dinner and a guy offered the band $100 tip if we'd do some Doors. I turned to the band and said "Roadhouse Blues in E. Follow me".

Git it Big Daddy!! I like the way you run a band! :cool:

Last edited:
people always asked me to play metallica, always when i was playing acoustic no less. So i'd hit the intro notes for "Nothing Else Matters", and then say I didn't know any. :P

Guess that's not weird, more weird that I didn't really know any Metallica, but hey I was a Pink Floyd loving hippie as a teenager :P

I keep telling people I don't know a song called "Get Off the Stage," but they keep requesting it anyway.

:D :D :D

Back