What's the Sebatron of compressors?

osz

(I know, I know Sebatron makes a compressor. But it's quite expensive.)

I'm looking for a compressor that is the most affordable of the high-end tube (not toob) units.

When I was looking for a good mic pre, the Sebatron emerged as a pro quality tube unit at a price hundreds less than many others in this category. I'd like to find a tube compressor that is in the same ballpark.

Any thoughts?

Peavey (that's right) VC/L-2 Valve Compressor Limiter. A 2 channel opto compressor that matches up with the VMP-2 preamp. Not stereo (although apparently some of the last ones did have a stereo linkage and Peavey at one time would do a stereo mod for cheap). Mine is dual mono. Like an LA2A on the cheap (relatively). Only available used, of course. Typically goes for $800-1000 on e-bay. Very nice unit. Even better if you retube it and ditch the Sovteks. I always thought it was curious that Peavey sold a limited line of quality studio gear (bought I think from AMR - or maybe they just bought AMR) that was so well received in the pro audio community -- and then of course they discontinued it. :(

I've also heard the art pro vla is pretty decent. I know I've seen it in john scrips rack, and if its good enough for him its good enough for me.

I don't give a rats ass what my rep power is, but whoever just gave the neg rep points to osz......go get a fricken life, or a blow up love doll, or something.

osz - ditto on the Pro VLA recommendation. ART doesn't get a lot of love for their inexpensive pres, but anyone who's used the Pro VLA has to give it it's props.

-RD

pohaku said:
Peavey (that's right) VC/L-2 Valve Compressor Limiter. A 2 channel opto compressor that matches up with the VMP-2 preamp. Not stereo (although apparently some of the last ones did have a stereo linkage and Peavey at one time would do a stereo mod for cheap). Mine is dual mono. Like an LA2A on the cheap (relatively).

This is another one of those lost gems by AMR / Peavey.

Pretty much anything that they made was very high quality, and sounded anywhere from good to exceptional. My guess is that they just weren't able to gain acceptance in the pro audio community due to the Peavey name.

Due to the very high popularity and demand for their used equipment, they should seriously consider bringing back some of this gear ... maybe move production overseas to save money, and then re-market the product line to the project studio at a slightly reduced rate. I'm sure it would sell like crazy.

chessrock said:
Due to the very high popularity and demand for their used equipment, they should seriously consider bringing back some of this gear ... maybe move production overseas to save money, and then re-market the product line to the project studio at a slightly reduced rate. I'm sure it would sell like crazy.

Agreed. I know people (and I bet you do too) that, out of professional embarrassment, have put stickers on their VMP-2s to cover the Peavey logo. It they had simply marketed the equipment as AMR, it would probably have been better accepted. Now they have ceded the inexpensive but quality tube equipment niche to Sebatron and Groove Tubes. There is probably a bigger market for this type of equipment now, what with the proliferation of project studios, then there was when the equipment was originally introduced. Seems like a significant number of posts on the various forums involve the question of "which inexpensive tube pre should I buy?"

Another nice item that got lost in the shuffle was their Tube Sweetener - also an AMR product -- with 2 channels if you simply want to add some gentle tube color to your signal. They are quite cheap when you can find them -- @$100 or so on e-bay. Worth checking out.

pohaku said:
Another nice item that got lost in the shuffle was their Tube Sweetener - also an AMR product -- with 2 channels if you simply want to add some gentle tube color to your signal. They are quite cheap when you can find them -- @$100 or so on e-bay. Worth checking out.

I actually have one of those. Use it pretty often for a mild distortion effect for drum loops.

The only thing that bothers me about it is an unusual amount of DC offset I get with the wave forms when using it. Oh well ... it does sound pretty damn cool when used in the right context. Does exactly what it's advertised to do.

I agree, the AMR stuff filled a really nice niche back when there was noone else to fill it. They even make large format affordable consoles. Those don't sound as nice as the rest of the stuff though:(

Wow. Lots of good suggestions--thanks very much! I've got some work to do demoing some of these.

Oh, and Robert--thanks for gettin' my back!

Back