What's the Recipe for making a Rack?

DrumRookie

"That" kid.
No, no, not a rack of lamb :P
I mean a rack that can be used with recording ;)

I didn't see any threads that show how to start a rack and how it's all configured.

But I was thinking about this kind of setup:

Making a box to hold rack gear
An interface
Probably getting a 31 band EQ
A compressor
Reverb controller
Effects (what kind?)

And any other essentials.

Now for the configuring and putting it together part... How do I go about it?

Say for instance, I had a 6 piece band and I would be using around 14-17 mics to record them, and I wanted to run their mics to an iMac using Pro Tools or Cubase, but at the same time have it run through all the rack gear I would have.

Can someone walk me through this all and how to go about it?
Thanks! :D

First, you probably wouldn't have any need for a 31-band graphic. Nice for ringing out stage monitors, pretty useless for anything else (well, maybe feeding the side-chain input on a compressor, but that's beside the point).

1) Patch bay.

2) Interface with as many I/O as you're going to need. Plus main I/O, plus potential aux sends, etc.

3) Anything else that YOU find necessary.

Personally, you're probably going to find that without a rather dramatic investment, you're going to have far more horsepower in-the-box.

As above.

Read up a little on the difference between graphic- and parametric equalizers and you'll get his point.

I have to make do with a small budget. What helps to strech that budget is to research what were high end units in the late 80's, early 90's. See which of those can be had in the $100 / $200 price range used. You'll be far better of then spending the same amount on a new unit.

Thanks for the advice. So just stick with plug ins then?

That's entirely up to you.

You could get some nice preamps to put in.

A good compressor is always a good idea. Track with a little (!) compression. Then put a little plug in compression on it afterwards. Two times a little compression is often better then one large portion. Just don't get the Behringer compressor, a used old DBX 166 is a nice one, better then the newer XL version.

I have the alesis 3630 comp which i really. might not suit your needs though.

Back