What's the purpose of a demo

Should the purpose of a demo be to make something that shows what your band can sound like after over dubs and multiple guitar tracks and what not, OR should a demo be a polished version of what your band sounds like live?

I'm recording with my band and I could put alot of effort and make it sound damn good, but it wouldn't be true to what we sound like live.

Part of me thinks there's a difference between recording and playing live, but still another part of me thinks sticking to what is possible in a live situation is a better representation of us for people who may potentially book us gigs.

What do you you all think?

If the purpose of your demo is to find work then I would say it should sound like your band.
If the purpose of your demo is to get some kind of recording or sales deal then I would say it should sound like the product you would like to sell.
In either instance, I would like to add that your demo should be your best production. :)

well, the demo i'm making is in my garage and so it's not the best quality and my bandmates don't have the patience to get a perfect take. I figure if this demo is better kept as something to show what we sound like and not to be THE recording that defines us. I hope to record in a real studio sometime.

well, the demo i'm making is in my garage and so it's not the best quality and my bandmates don't have the patience to get a perfect take.
Then your recording will demonstrate precisely that.
It's difficult, in forums such as this, to get one's opinions across without sounding more critical than one means to be so please don't read more into this than I actually say. I'm trying to be helpful.
I just see all to often that people seem to think that a demo should be a quick knock up of a few songs to get you some work.
It's a Demo.
Short for Demonstration.
It should be your very best or not done at all.
Now, that's my opinion.
I hope I haven't ticked you off.
That's not my intention.

I'd think that if you want to give people an impression of what your live show is like, you should record your live show.

I kind of think of demos as being incomplete studio versions of my songs. They're as fully-realized as I can get them, but they're not quite to the point I want them.

and live and studio versions of the same song can (perhaps should) be very different. Live versions should be high-energy and only include the instrumentation and personell you have available. Studio versions give you a chance to apply all the effects, layered instruments, etc to make your song sound like what you really want it to be.

I've had agents tell me to not make a demo that has overdubs etc, and just a live recording, so I do demos "live", even if it's with MIDI tracks.

The word "demo" to me comes from "demonstration" and that's what people want, a demonstration of what you can do live, not what you can do in a recording studio.

My experience with demos is that people will generally form their opinion in the first few seconds and not really listen much past that, so I go for short incomplete songs, usually just 3, so there's a beginning, middle and end.

I guess my overall thought is that the demo is part of the press kit. The point of a press kit is to get gigs right? So I'd throw in some live recordings to let the venue owners know what the band sounds like live and some (home) studio recordings to let them know how the songs really sound when not filtered through a camera phone. :D

Last 2 posts are on point. The average user will listen to a track 5-8 seconds before switching songs. Its the time you need to be able to grab a listener.
Demos are used to demonstrate an artist(s) talent. Demos are usually sent in with press kits to recording labels via professional representation... or it gets thrown in the trash. And I've thrown quite a few demos out the door. Demos serve many purposes. You may be auditioning for a gig, looking for that record deal, demonstrating a upcoming product, etc.

Successful demos, tend to implement videos, photo stills, as well as other forms of media that may enhance a person's chance of being noticed.

Sound Quality, in demos, are not necessary to be great. It should be "enjoyable". If your demoing out to record labels or gigs, sound quality usually isn't frowned upon if it's not mastered or perfect as we have recording facilities and producers for that.

All in all, demo's showcase talent, giving the listener a good perspective on the views and sound of the artist(s).

I'd use the salesman analogy...

If a salesman came to your home and produced a sample of the thing that he was trying to sell you and it was shoddy and fell apart in front of you would you buy it?

The salesman argues that "Don't take any notice of that...It's only a demo, when we install the real thing for you it will be excellent". Would you buy?

In this instance the demo is only ok for the salesman to discuss with his colleagues back at the firm, and NOT for use in front of potential customers.

If you can see obvious flaws and faults in your demo and feel the need to apologise for it and make excuses when playing it to friends or club managers/promoters, then forget it, the demo just isn't good enough for use outside the band inner circle. Get yer lazy bandmates to do it again, or just keep it for use within the band.

I like Mindset's post.
The only thing I will say is that the "Poor sound quality" that you overlook has probably been the very best that the client could come up with.

Surely this demo is just for club owners to decide if they like the type of music you play, your voice etc, make it dry and effect/compression free, but get the songs perfect, make sure you can hear everything.

Listen to these 2 tracks, megadeth - countdown to extinction. In demo and studio form, the demo should give you something to aim for, nothing more, nothing less

Heres the links:

demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJliNfQ4wJw

studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU4KKXOxirk

Last edited:
Back