What's the one Plugin you can't live without?

Change of POETS

List the Plug, what you use it for primarily (vox/guitars/drums/etc..), and why you think it's the best at what it does...

I'll go first.

Plugin: Waves C1 Comp SC
Primary Use: I generally use this for sidechain compression on bass guitars, to clear room for kicks in the mix.
Why?: Out of all the Sidechain plugs I've tried, this one seems (to me) to be less abrasive at colorization, and retains almost 100% of the audio sound while providing the needed frequency space for the kicks to come through. Considering 95% of what I mix is Hip-Hop, it's a much needed and often used plug. :)

Plugin: Nothing
Primary use: Full mix
Why?: Two reasons. First, there's no such thing as a plugin I can't live without. Second, there is no substitute for performing a first-iteration faders up mix with zero processing in order to know just which plugs, if any, I'll need for any given track in the mix. *That* is far more valuable for getting the right sound than the actual plugins themselves, IMHO.

G.

I would prefer to not have to use any plugins to get the sound I want. Then I know I've done a damn good tracking job. :D And obviously I will always try to mix with no plugins or EQ first.

That said, it never really works out like that. :p

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Plugin: Nothing
Primary use: Full mix
Why?: Two reasons. First, there's no such thing as a plugin I can't live without. Second, there is no substitute for performing a first-iteration faders up mix with zero processing in order to know just which plugs, if any, I'll need for any given track in the mix. *That* is far more valuable for getting the right sound than the actual plugins themselves, IMHO.

G.
I suppose you're under the assumption that most engineers don't evaluate the levels before attempting processing? :confused:

I'd assume that was the standard... I mean, that's how I was taught anyway. Adjust levels, pan, create the best mix possible... Rely on processing only where necessary. Unless of course, the artist is asking for a specific processed sound.

Regardless... I still love my C1 Comp.

Time adjuster plugin (ProTools)
to compensate for no ADC or PDC

Usually on the drum buss when using parallel drum compression

Same with Vox

-LIMiT

vintagewarmer2 is great ... once tweaked you can get a true transparent mix with more kick to it and tons of volume if that's your thing ... overall it is a nice warmer for getting that digital harsh tamed ....

Change of POETS said:
I suppose you're under the assumption that most engineers don't evaluate the levels before attempting processing?
No, I'm working under the evaluation based upon experience that most rookie home reccrs barely evaluate levels at all and tend to try to get solo tracks sounding good with a default of plugs before they fold them into the mix.

But even more than that, I honestly feel that there is no such thing as an indispensible plug. That was my honest answer to the question. If we all woke up in a world tomorrow where there were no such thing as plugs (it's called the mid 1990s, BTW ;) ), I'd be perfectly fine with that.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
No, I'm working under the evaluation based upon experience that most rookie home reccrs barely evaluate levels at all and tend to try to get solo tracks sounding good with a default of plugs before they fold them into the mix.

But even more than that, I honestly feel that there is no such thing as an indispensible plug. That was my honest answer to the question. If we all woke up in a world tomorrow where there were no such thing as plugs (it's called the mid 1990s, BTW ;) ), I'd be perfectly fine with that.

G.

Aha!

:D

Well, as much as I'd love to go back to the sound of the mid 90's (especially in mastering) I have to say, I'm so glad the digital age of recording has become what it has. Sure the market is now saturated with more crap, but that's an entirely different topic. :p

I used to be dead set against plugins, but I've noticed that the quality has gone up in the last couple years. I now use a small and carefully picked set of plugins. By carefully picked I mean that *I* like them!

Indispensable plugins for me are:

Massey: CT4 compressor, VT3 eq, Tape Head, L2007
Roger Nichols Digital: Finis, Uniquelizer, Inspector XL
PSP: Vintage Warmer 2, MasterQ
Digital Performer: MasterWorks EQ

I use these and also my racks of outboard gear.

What's really great about plugins is the instant recall and easy automation.

Don't get me wrong, I use plugs all the time. It's not that I'm a Luddite.

I'm not against plugs. I'm also not against handguns. I just think that they both should require training and licensing before they get into the public's hands. They both are misconceived by the unwashed as go-to solutions to problems better fixed by a change in their own behavior first ;).

G.

SonicAlbert said:
The Massey plugins for ProTools have quickly become my "can't live without" plugs.

Same here, I've never used plug's so simple yet so good. I use ct4 on everything that needs a comp and I used to dislike compression. All his plugs are amazing.

I like my L2. wouldn't say I couldn't go without it but it's the one I use the most often.

My favorite is my Manley Vari-Mu Plugin. (gotta love Cubase - :D)

I use it for about 2 db of GR on the 2 buss just to "glue" a mix together, and add a smidge of tube distortion.

Other's that see a lot of use -

UAD 1176LN
UAD 1073
Drumagog

Those three can take a good set of drumtracks and make them sound fantastic. (or make crappy tracks sound decent)

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Don't get me wrong, I use plugs all the time. It's not that I'm a Luddite.

I'm not against plugs. I'm also not against handguns. I just think that they both should require training and licensing before they get into the public's hands. They both are misconceived by the unwashed as go-to solutions to problems better fixed by a change in their own behavior first ;).

G.

I heard somewhere that 9 out of 10 Americans have a gun...

NL5 said:
My favorite is my Manley Vari-Mu Plugin. (gotta love Cubase - :D)

I use it for about 2 db of GR on the 2 buss just to "glue" a mix together, and add a smidge of tube distortion.

Other's that see a lot of use -

UAD 1176LN
UAD 1073
Drumagog

Those three can take a good set of drumtracks and make them sound fantastic. (or make crappy tracks sound decent)

Is that in cubase4?? I might have to upgrade!

"What's the one plugin you can't live without?"

That's changed recently. I record mostly solo guitar and my most-used plug used to be Waves linear multiband comp. Then I discovered Voxengo Soniformer. But the multiband comp that comes with Reaper - ReaFir - has surprised me and it may be just as good, but I need more testing. Soniformer and ReaFir also function as straight EQ's and better IMO than most parametric EQs I've used.

Other plugs I use regularly...
SIR verb
Blockfish limiter (upward compressor-type thickener)
L2 or Elephant peak limiters (they're equal IMO)

Back