whats the deal with flying faders???

mr. produca

i have an idea of what they are, (faders duh :rolleyes: )but how do they make recording easier?? how do people use them or program them?and why do people get them?? maybe because of the WOW :eek: i guess. it kinda overwhelmes those who are not famaliar with them, the first time i saw them in action i was like :eek: :eek: :eek: pretty cool looking.i wouldnt mind getting 32 channels with flying faders.how can i get my hands on these gems.somebody give me the downlow!! :D

My Mackie MCU has 'em. At first I thought of it more as a gimmick because previously I had done it on an old Behringer and didn't know any better. But it's really nice during fine tuning of a mix, to have the fader at the actual mix level during playback...that way you can nudge it on the fly especially if you're working on a larger multi-track project.

I like 'em. :)

Roger...coming for approach on the south runway...you're cleared for landing. :D

thankz one more thing.........

i have visited the martinsound website numerous times and i know they come on some neve consoles.i also heard of a company jl cooper (i think)that makes smaller ones in groups of 8.dumb question in
1.... how do you get it to move by itself???? :confused: .do you have to do it with a program??? :confused: :confused:
i was thinking that first you mix moving your faders with your fingers and then when you play back the faders would repeat what you just did.
am i right or wrong?? :o im not afraid to be wrong

it's all automation.
it's the same thing that happens in your software program.
motorized faders or flying faders mean that the console has automation on it. Back in the old days people had to do their own automation by hand everytime they did a mixdown to two track. When flying faders were made this allowed for the console to "remember" all the moves done. But in order to do that you had to tell the console that you were about to automate a fader and it would go in a sort of record-ready mode. There was also a Total-Recall feature for a lot of these consoles too that worked with the Flying Faders. When you turned the console on in the morning, and loaded up a session, it snapped all the faders back up to where you had them the night before. And even all the EQ, compressor, aux settings had a light on them to tell you if they were at the correct position or not.
:cool:

Exactly what he said...

The only advice I would have to offer would be that before you purchase any controller...DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Not all controllers are equal and degree of integration with a given program or recording application will vary. I would suggest that you get one that is listed as supporting your program and visa versa...the controller is listed as supported by your program. I have very strong feelings about this...nothing sucks more than getting a new widget-whatchamacallit-thingy that's supposed to make life easier but instead turns into a tecno nighmare.

bennychico11 said:
There was also a Total-Recall
Oh, yes. It had a display screen that had graphics about as sophisticated as an Atari 2600. And you'd save all the info onto one of those huge old floppy discs - what was it, 7 1/4"?

They had Total Recall on the SSL G-series console at the recording school I attended. I loved that console over all the others they had there. One day, I tell you....

Back