What's the deal with Auratones???

Link

Can anybody help me out on this one. I know that a lot of bigger studios have and use auratones, but ive heard them, and they were pretty shocking. Are these speakers used as more of a reference of what a mix would sound like thru a dodgy stereo?

Auratones are the great "humblers." So you think you are getting pretty good at mixing eh? So you think you know what you are doing eh? You got those phase problems licked do you? Run your mix through a pair of Auratones.

I've had a pair for 20 years+...so that's one of the deals...bought 'em new for $80 for the pair and thought that was tooooo much at the time for a pair of whimpy 5" speakers. However, I like my Auratones VERY much and would never get rid of them....not sure I would replace them if they hit the trail or the graveyard though. I like to use them to give my ears a *rest* after listening to my JBL4311's all evening long. If you have questions about your bass guitar balance...hey..flip on da Auratones. No, they are not lo freq wonders in a cube, but seem to have a knack for letting you hear what might be down there....plus..what it might sound on a TV, boombox...etc. Now...if I only had that ubiqitous SSL board that you always seem them sitting on!!

Back