What's the best way? TDIF or DM24 FW?

maddrummer said:
So I'm looking for the cheapest way to go. I need a soundcard with TDIF i/o. Theres this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3705215126&category=41787

Or what about a motu 2408, even the original would be fine since I'm only using the digital right?

This is for a dm-24, I can't seem to find out much on the firewire card that they make for it, but let me know what you think. Thanks

You don't want to go to with the Tascam PCI-822 TDIF+SPDIF PCI Audio interface. It will only provide you with 8 TDIF. You need 24 TDIF.

You will be better off getting the MOTU 2408mk3 (it has 24 TDIF and it will come with the FireWire card you need for your computer).

Don't get confused. TASCAM is making a new FireWire interface for the DM-24. You will not need that new interface.

Peace... spin

Thanks man, there's no confusion. I honestly would really only need 8. I use my pc for some sequencing and mainly as an effect processor while I have PT on a mac as my main system. I just need something to get in and out of the pc. The FW card for the dm24 would be an option but I just don't know how well it works.

So I'm trying to find out if there are any problems with the tascam 822 card or using the 2408 mk1. the mk3 wouldn't have any more to offer would it, since the balanced audio wouldn't even be used. Thanks

maddrummer, I am not sure about your inquisitions.

Why do you need the TDIF?

What are you trying to connect?

If you only need 8 TDIF, then get the PCI-822 (but, what are you trying to connect to that TDIF)?

What type of interface do you have on your MAC/PT system?

You said that you are interested in the DM-24 because of the FireWire port. But You would still need to get the DM-24 connected to the PC (therefore, you'd need to get a MOTU 2408mk AND a FireWire card for the MOTU to connect with the PC).

So, once again, my good friend, what are you trying to accomplish? :)

spin

Re: Re: What's the best way? TDIF or DM24 FW?

SPINSTERWUN said:
.....Don't get confused. TASCAM is making a new FireWire interface for the DM-24. You will not need that new interface.
Peace... spin

This is what I mean......

Tascam FireWire IN>Tascam DM-24 INPUTS>TASCAM TDIF OUT>MOTU TDIF IN>MOTU Firewire OUT>computer PCI FireWire IN

That is why I stated that you don't need to get the FW for the DM24.

If you just need a FW port. Purchase a FW port.

The only reason you'd need a TDIF OUT of your computer is if you needed to connect a DM24.

If you are trying to get audio out of your PC or if you are trying to run the PC in sync with the PT system, get the MOTU 2408mk3.

Once again, I need to know more information about your setup AND what you are trying to accomplish with your setup. :cool:

Peace...

spin

I have the 002 rack for the mac, i use the analog i/o and the adat on the dm-24 with the 002 rack. The pc i use for sequencing and plug-ins (in conjunction with the mac). Doesn't the firewire card for the dm-24 make the dm-24 an interface for your computer. So i could send audio through that to the pc. (so that would be the interface, instead of a motu or the tascam pci card).

I gotta run right now so i'll get back to this later if i didn't explain it good enough. Thanks

Ive been using a Mixtreme...by Soundscape (the best thing to come out of England since...US!)
They may be under a new company now (it was Mackie for a bit..??!)...but support has alway been great! My old login still works on the new site..so I think its the same guys..just a new name!

http://www.sydec.be/Products/Mixtreme/

xoxo

hopefully this is the direct response...

both the motu 2408mkIII and the firewire card will let you transport 24 channels of audio in and out of your computer at 24/48 and 12 channels at 24/96... if you only allow yourself 8 channels, you can only do 4 in hi-fidelity mode... so... even if you only want 8, you want to go with either the firewire card or the 2408mkIII to get the highest resolution in and out... (if you care...)

the firewire card is about 399.00 the motu is about 799.00

The firewire card will likely have more latency than the motu, which guaruntees latency free monitoring (a nice touch) as well as an additional 8 analogue i/o at 24/96, 24 channels of adate, timeclock and spdif i/o ...

so... If all you want is raw io, the firewire option is the cheaper way to go, and if you're only using 8 tracks, the latency will probably be okay...

if you have any desire to upgrade in the future, the motu is a solid investment, and remember, you can add another 2408 to the mix when you get your second dm-24 ;)

hope this helps... I recently went through this, and had already had the 2408mkIII my dm-24 comes tomorrow... so I will let you know how that system syncs up...

I might plug you for help on the board :)

peace.

Rich

ps, your last post is correct, you wouldn't need ANY soundcard if you got the firewire card for the dm-24

Hey man thanks. I usually do my stuff at 44.1 or 48 because that's all I can with the lightpipe ins for the 002.

Now another question, would i be fine with the original 2408? I know the analog is on rca but i really won't be using it anyway. I'll have to look that up.

I'm actually quite new to the dm-24 but I feel pretty good with it. Some of the machine control stuff and the automation I'm not at 100% but everything else i understand. (mostly) so send any questions my way. Thanks

Back