What's the best pro-sounding studio recording setup I can put together for under $38?

While I'm sure that eBay deal is a heck of a bargin - it says "professional", so it must be good - it still doesn't leave much for monitors or headphones. Ya gotta hear what 'cha done.

Oh, wait...I got some free iPod headphones with a pack of Duracell batteries the other day. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

;)

If you come to my place and I can record you with one mic, and you can do a three minute tune in one take,

I'll do it for $38.

That would be your $38 pro-sounding solution.

From the attached article:
"Legend has it that Michael Jackson devised the ridiculously catchy bassline for "Billie Jean" while sitting in a tree. Maybe, if he'd had this, he could have written the whole song up there."

This seemed like a good solution until I read that part. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to have a tree planted around here???
And then I'd have to wait until it grows big enough to sit in it. I don't have that kind of time. I want to put out hit songs right away!!!

But now that I've had a minute to think about it... I suppose it wouldn't have to be a real tree. I could go to Home Despot and buy some supplies and make a tree out of wood. :rolleyes:
But I think that would put me over my $38 budget.

I have just what you need!:D

Hey, I used to have one of those!
It had the mic built-in though....
Recorded my first band with a single mic in the middle of mum's sitting room.....recording sounded like potatoe chips in a fryer, but hey, we wuzz happy and we wuzz cool :cool::D

Now, you know, that "HitKit" and FourTrak, while not being "professional" grade, are actually pretty intriguing:

The HitKit has value in that it provides an absurdly cheap way for total noobs to see what all the excitement is about- I am thinking giving it to a child who wants to explore recording, for instance. Given the legion of kids who thought they wanted to "play the guitar" or such, less than $2.00 USD is an irresistable price.

And the FourTrak is nothing less than an i-Pod based PortaStudio, and I think everyone here would have to admit that there is some real utility to that sort of platform.

Now, you know, that "HitKit" and FourTrak, while not being "professional" grade, are actually pretty intriguing:

The HitKit has value in that it provides an absurdly cheap way for total noobs to see what all the excitement is about- I am thinking giving it to a child who wants to explore recording, for instance. Given the legion of kids who thought they wanted to "play the guitar" or such, less than $2.00 USD is an irresistable price.

And the FourTrak is nothing less than an i-Pod based PortaStudio, and I think everyone here would have to admit that there is some real utility to that sort of platform.
Now that sounds kind of serious...

Hey I can remember my mom recording me on one of these way back when.
Way down yonder in the pa pa patch was the song I believe.
LOL

DD

Used minidisk, one of those little stereo mics they sell and you've actually got a pretty damned good chance of making a live recording that sounds cool.

For $38? Stop teasing me with shit I can't afford. I want to make hit records now, dammit.

PS... my daddy was in Wings :rolleyes:

Back