What's the best mic for $2.49 to mic my cat?

...and I quote:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to guitar zero again."

Cat scanner. Man I love feline humor.

Depends on what the cat is doing when you want to mic it.

For hissing/screeching, a 2" speaker from an old cassette recorder or clock/radio will work if you hook the leads up to a 1/4" phone plug and crank the gain on your mixer.

For getting discrete cat noises, such as the low rumble of the predatory growl, you may want to consider a shotgun, as some cats don't like mics in their faces as they predate. If you can't get close enough to capture this, flee the scene and be happy you got away with your testes, or set up a Neumann and hope for the best.

Sorry, only the first suggestion cost less than $2.49. I tried. :p

Steve

We need to know more.
Furrrrrr instance......... which end of the cat do you want to mic?
How well is the prrrrroom treated that you wish to mic the cat?

You need a pair of LDCs about 8 feet apart, head high...

Set them up, stand right between the two, grab the cat by the tail, and swing...

Bewdiful... and you get the stereo thing as well...

(DISCLAIMER: no actual cats were harmed during this post...)

You need a pair of LDCs about 8 feet apart, head high...

Set them up, stand right between the two, grab the cat by the tail, and swing...

Bewdiful... and you get the stereo thing as well...

(DISCLAIMER: no actual cats were harmed during this post...)

As a cat person I'm seriously contemplating sacrificing the next chat noir I find and putting at least a 5 year hex on your musical endeavours........possibly even ten :D:p:eek:

Although, come to think of it, there are a couple of cats and their owners around here who I could imagine being strapped to the top horn of a Leslie .......................<insert wicked, evil, manic laughter>.

:cool: l

For a Calico a Mr.Microphone through a snoopy dog house radio is best.(i know, just trust me on this) This signal chain sounds like crap on a Taby though.

For $2.49, you could get a really nice brick with which to break a window at your local radio shack. From there you can take your pick of their high-quality microphones. :D

"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." (John Cage)

However, please have a close look at my avatar.

See, it's not there. I want to upload a cat picture but can't.

Martin

If you check out Karma mics you can get really quite good condensor mics for 5 bucks a piece when you buy 4. They also work pretty well on drums, from what I hear.

How do you catergorise a meowmic?
Linda Lovelace might be a clue - but you'd have to get passed the gargle effect.
Start with a furball Shure 58 and run a feline to a meowamp, compress the hell out of it with an old boot but they don't make good dehissers for that frequency though so you'll need a spit & claw screen.
The best software would be Catwalk - it works purrfectly. The pussy down the well effect of an omni might be an issue though. A nice little blue ribbon mic could work but you'll have to handle that with kitten mittens.
The last & probably greatest issue is preventing the cat from knocking the mic to the ground and playing with it before it gets bored, creeps into the kitchen, craps & then creeps away.

Back