What's that vocal effect used by Kid Rock and Cher?

I agree that it is cheesy and so identifiable that you won't hear it too much again. Integrity? Obviously you have not heard of pro tools. The only reason they did not just use a plug in is that the crappy little studio did not have pro tools. Integrity? How about that bullshit with Santana and Clapton? They never even came up with a tune for the record. They jammed for a couple of hours and the engineer and producer pieced the tune together with pro-stools.I am not even sure half the people making records can even play.I agree there should be more artistic integrity but hey. I own an Autotune to keep me from having to redo a take for one note.but I do not use pro-stools to create my music form bits and pieces like a quilt..

By the way I did not know you knew that. I think your point about the Antares being called the autotune( auto-intonation processor) may be a good one. Maybe she stipulated that they lie about it in her agreement or something.I cared enough about Greens'question to answer it with an article I stumbled on but I certainly am not gonna hire a private detective to find out the REAL story on the vocal effect of a crappy disco song.

Hey Dorian... it's that darn BOLD. I was going for emphasis, not shouting. Take me with a grain of salt... I sound intense, but I'm mostly harmless.

I sure will PGlewis, and thank you.I didn't mean to be so defensive( and of course I was funnin' about the PI).I do hate that everything is now done with pro-stools though. Don't you? It's been a real tough week as my drummer and best friends wife died of cancer and I guess I am touchy.I posted a thread on VS planet called priorites about it. After thinking about what you said I think you may well be right about the Cher thing. If a singer is way off and you pitch correct it with the Antares( I have one) with the speed and sensistivity cranked up you will get that same yodeling "effect" Have a good day.
www.blues2001.com/rolaids

Well, I'm going waaaaaay off topic but I just can't keep from adding my $.02, now that I have more than 5 minutes to reply ;).

In all honesty, I think the bottom line is what does it sound like. If it sounds good, I don't care if it was a sample, a live instrument, or an effect tweak. It's always a taste issue, but if it sounds cool I could care less about how the sound was made. I might wanna know for my own information, of course, but I'm not gonna be a snob or purist. Sound is the end result, not the tools.

Loop-based software, digital multi-tracks, and oodles of effect plug-ins have moved powerful composition, recording, and mastering tools within the reach of the masses. As a result, there is a lot of crappy loop-based, over effected, digital stuff showing up. But in the hands of a true artist, good music can be made with these tools.

It wasn't the effect on the vocals that bugged me, it was the effect on me. I'm media ignorant and I've never heard the Cher song, but I did hear the Kid Rock song a couple of times. The problem for me is that the gimmick pulled my attention away from the song and forced me to focus on the gimmick itself. I haven't been fond of gimmicks since after my first week with a digital delay. I try to know "what I'm going for" when I reach for a knob these days. I'm not afraid to do weird shit if it helps me get closer to what I hear in my head. But I hope I'm doing it to enhance the material.

Standard net disclaimer: this is not an accusation of any sort. I'm just spouting my manifesto.

I do not think it is being a snob or a purist to expect the artist and not the engineer to create the music.The engineer is supposed to record what the artist creates not create it for him.If the effect pulled your attention away from the song "believe" believe me you did not miss a thing. :D I still think that pro-tools should be used to edit and not create tunes out of a couple half assed guitar riffs.Should I rip Santana in a different area? This guy has the balls to mention Coltrane is his grammy speech. Yeah right. John Coltrane and miles Davis would play a couple of chessy scales and then the engineer would make a jazz classic out of it.I DO care if it sounds good but I also care how they make it. No one would even bat an eye at the Milli-Vanilli scandal in 2000.Eveyfuckingbody is Milli-Vanilli.Just MY 2cents. Peace.

I think that it's very common for people to react negatively when one artist or CD gets rave, mad and sometimes unnecessarily positive reviews (read: hype). But I, for one, like Santana's CD. I would suggest that before people discredit his guitar-playing ability they look beyond this record. This record may not showcase all of what he is as a guitar player, but regardless of the HYpe of this successfull record, the guy CAn play guitar. So knock the hype, but not the player, because he does have skills. Anyone with an ear to his stuff over the last 30 years should know this.

Rev E

Back