What's that sound?

Razor

Here's the gig.....Yesterday, I go to plug in my trusty little 414 which has always soundes as good as a 414 could, and when I bring it up at the board there is this noise........and not the kind that sends you scrambling for a dat to capture before it goes away.

It was/is more like the mic is being held in front of an air vent. And it won't go away! The mic passes signal just fine. Everything sounds fairly normal...just lost is a roar of noise. What is wrong with my little mic.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Charles

Have you done all the checks??

Ho hum...6 people have looked at this message so far and no replies so I feel obliged to say something.

Firstly, a multimeter is very handy during these times, do you have one?? Borrow one... I would check the Mic cable first and not by just bleeping continuity from one end to the other without checking if there are any physical shorts between the conductors. 48VDC is quite enough to damage a mic and itself if badly shorted. It sounds like there is a short somewhere. Check that there is 48vdc coming from the desk (Pin 2 and 3 I think but could be wrong). If both pass then it could be a electrical fault with the Mic. 414's aren't cheap because they are lovely.. if it's broken then I sympathise.

Sorry if i can't be any more help than that...

Regards

Steve...R

Back