whats that sound???

prozik

ive been looking for that sound for about 3 years now and i cant find it.
it changes ur voice into something electronic but it still has a mellow sound.
some people say its a vocoder.
some say its a talk box.
ive heard both and they sound very similar but its not exactly it.
the latest songs that ive heard that have it are (t pain -im sprung)
also some of dr dre's or blackstreet.
and its very popular in techno or house music
im wondering if its done on computer as an effect after someone has recorded some vocals or if its a rack of some sort....

It sounds like you're talking about autotune. It's a pitch correction tool which is usually just used to nudge a few off notes back in key. When it's used subtley you probably won't even hear it.

However it seems recently that it's being used as an effect.

It's available as a software plug-in and as a hardware unit.

I think he means, like on ... umm is it Dr Dre, where the guy at the beginning sings through a talk box woth a keyboard keying the notes...."California....knows how to party....ect"

SizlChest said:
I think he means, like on ... umm is it Dr Dre, where the guy at the beginning sings through a talk box woth a keyboard keying the notes...."California....knows how to party....ect"
Perhaps it is a vocoder then? Various vocoders can sound very different, actually the sound of the same vocoder can vary greatly depending how it's set up.

it has to be a vocoder or autotune on overdrive (or graphically edited).

it can't be a vocalizer, cause you would of heard R&B style harmonies.

A talk box is not digital enough.

Or copies of certain phrases that where pitch edited

Beyond that, someone's holding out a good secret.

Just a note, for what it's worth the engineers responsible for Cher's robo voice thing on "believe" emphatically deny using autotune for the effect.

reshp1 said:
Just a note, for what it's worth the engineers responsible for Cher's robo voice thing on "believe" emphatically deny using autotune for the effect.

Yes, didn't you hear? When she got her last set of implants, she also was rebuilt as a cyborg and is able to sing like that with her new digital voice box. It is all the new rage.

reshp1 said:

Always sounded like a vocoder with a keyboard to me.

Thunder33 said:
Yes, didn't you hear? When she got her last set of implants, she also was rebuilt as a cyborg and is able to sing like that with her new digital voice box. It is all the new rage.
Vocoder and keyboard I believe was their explanation, but you never know.....

When she got her last set of implants, she also was rebuilt as a cyborg and is able to sing like that with her new digital voice box.

Implants? If she gets her butt lifted one more time, she'll be a hunchback... :)

J.P.

Back