what's that noise when tightening my strings?

ZoSo58LP

rock guy
seeing as my Parker P42 is my first non-strat-tremolo-bridge-guitar, i've noticed something that usually occurs when i tighten/loosen my G and B strings: a *clink* noise. like, it sounds as if something is making a metallic squink as i'm tightening, sometimes loosening, and the tuner needle will jump higher than it should for just moving it that small amount that i did. doesn't happen on the other strings; hell, doesn't happen on my strats either. what could it be? it's got sperzel tuners, but they're not locking tuners (like my strats).

seeing as my Parker P42 is my first non-strat-tremolo-bridge-guitar, i've noticed something that usually occurs when i tighten/loosen my G and B strings: a *clink* noise. like, it sounds as if something is making a metallic squink as i'm tightening, sometimes loosening, and the tuner needle will jump higher than it should for just moving it that small amount that i did. doesn't happen on the other strings; hell, doesn't happen on my strats either. what could it be? it's got sperzel tuners, but they're not locking tuners (like my strats).

The string is binding at the nut and then skipping past the point it's getting caught on. This usually happens on wound strings only. Loosen the strings, pencil in the nut grooves and re-tune. That should take care of the problem until the next string change.

haha sounds sexy! interesting. ok so just lube up the nut with some graphite? (sounds...not as hot)
That might help, but what you really need is for the slots in the nut to be the right width for the gauge strings you are using. You probably don't have the precision files it takes to fix this; I'd take it to a tech and have it done. While you're at it you might as well replace the plastic nut it probably has with a bone one.

EDIT: I just saw that you have a tremelo bridge. That makes having the nut slots correct even more important.

hahah captbob.

thanks for the responses...

ggun: the bridge is NOT a trem on the parker..it's that hard tail one like on a LP; i meant that i have trem bridges on my strats, so whats what i'm used to...(just got the parker back in feb)

and i think i need to bring it somewhere anyway when i get some money...my 14th fret is raised so my high E gets stuck under it sometimes haha

I use reed lube or something - it comes in a chap stick tube. Kinda gunky but works like a charm.:cool:

You can fix it yourself with a GOOD set of nut files. Light strokes....

Get satisfied with your string gauge, first.:cool:

A trip to the guitar doctor would be cheaper, plus you'll know that it's done right.
ya' know ........ that's not really true. There's PLENTY of crappy guitar doctors. If you don't know how to do it yourself, how do you know it's done right?
As a piano tuner I can tell you that more piano techs are crappy than good. I'm betting the same is true of guitar techs.

ya' know ........ that's not really true. There's PLENTY of crappy guitar doctors. If you don't know how to do it yourself, how do you know it's done right?
As a piano tuner I can tell you that more piano techs are crappy than good. I'm betting the same is true of guitar techs.
I stand corrected. I should have said "a visit to a competent guitar doctor..."

i think i need a job...all of my stuff is in need of some light repair work, ugh. that's 2 guitars, and 3 basses ugh.

Most definitely true. Also, I remember tuning pianos, right after a 'Tech', tuned them.

Back