What's that mic Dylan was using?

maestro_dmc

Uses Paramedic EQ
So I'm watching the special on PBS about Bob Dylan, and I keep seeing this mic. Looks like a Blue Ball, but of course this was 1965. And all the folkies had one for the vocals and one below for the acoustic guitar.

I've never seen it before, sounded pretty good.

Any one see this? Know what it was?

dont know, some big old dynamic snowball. did you get a load of that giant one? also newport, different spot, maybe pete seeger or somebody was singing. the one i'm speaking of was for guitars i suppose, was as big as a softball up top, looked like the one you're talking about times two.

Yep. What the heck was it?

Obviously ideal for micing acoustic instruments on-stage, probably an omni, not ideal for the rock part of the set, hence the complaints about the awful sound.

Here's a photo, if it helps anyone ID the mic.

bob_dylan.newport.64.color.jpg

Sweet. I knew if anyone would know, It'd be Harvey.

I kind of thought it would be a Neumann, but I didn't get very far on their site looking for vintage mics.

So Harvey, was that with the Sennheiser silk windscreen? All the pics I've found lack the ball shaped top.Picture

Somebody else was asking the same basic question here at Prosoundweb.

Well, now I know I won't be getting one. :(
The power supply alone is going for $375 on ebay.

I'll just get one of these:Snowball Looks about the same! Hey, and you can't plug a KM-56 into your USB port, no way!
:D
:rolleyes:

Probably a Sennheiser screen that happened to fit the Neumann. I missed that whole Prosoundweb discussion, but it looks like we both came up with the same answers.

I asked this same question a while ago and came to the conclusion that it is a Nuemann Km56 with either a seinheiser wind basket or this one by schoeps.

Attachments

• Mic 1.jpg
    Mic 1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 104
Back