What's that extra "zing" on FM radio?

flatfinger

Use every dam bit!
Latley I've been checking my mixes in on lots of different systems. I noticed in the wifes car, the eq was set at the typical "scoop" or smile profile, which really made my mixes flat, yet the fm still sounded ok; what's the MBC at the stations doing exactly???

I've been pumping up the presence (1-5k) frequecies in order to try and get closer to that sound, but , though much improved, I can't quite get the same clairity and if I exceed a certian level of air( 10k and up), then things get strident.

I know Me's try to get the mixes to play well on a wide spectrum of systems,( but, I've noticed, as a side note, while driving friends and family cockoo hijacking there stereo's , most people don't have the eq anywhere near flat on them!!)

I want to make demos, so I need them to stand out and am not worried how that would effect them if played after radio style processes ( hopefully that would come later). I dont want to participate in any "loudness war" , Just want them to sound better than average and thus , have the songs presented in the best light . I gather the standards for demos have gone up allot!! ( no more 4 track , mini-studio cassette please!)

There was a good MBC thread up here recently which got me thinking about this, If a MBC is used to modulate the "air" frequencies ,in otherwords bring them up in quieter parts of the song and dynamically reduce them in a loud parts, is that going to be obvious??

I know allot you guys think MBC are unnecessary, but how are the FM stations getting that extra ZING??????????????

Good pic-up Mad audio!
I should mention that like red stone noted in that thread, I listen to pre-90's sutff mostly. the stuff made before then does sound better and you know what, the country stations sound the best out of all of them around here, even on the newest records!( I guess they are better at adjusting there MBC in a more conservative fashion!

Back