What's some good plug-ins?

www.sonictimeworks.com

I use the Mastering Compressor / Mastering EQ / Reverb and Phaser and I love them all. Especially the two mastering plugins. They are a bit expensive but I like the results they produce.

I talked to one of the designers from STW and he told me they did a head to head accuracy comparison of their new PMEQ (I don't have it :( yet.... :) ) and the top of the line outboard PMEQ's and they performed with equal accuracy. With the results I get I believe him.

zip >>

i use:

antares autotune: for fixing my sometimes not quite perfect vocal pitch

dsp-fx: reverb, chorus, delay, autowah (i've only used the autowah once)

ultrafunk: compressor and equalizer

waves: multiband compressor

Spectrum analyzer anyone???

Anybody using a spectrum analyzer on a PC platform in Cakewalk? I've looked all over the Net and haven't found one. I have found some standalone analyzers, but you have to do a mixdown to a wave file to utilize the analyzer....bummer!!! Also, does anybody use a wah wah plugin, and if so, where did you get it?

Mucho grassyass

Hi steveaustin,

You might want to check out the Sonitus:fx plug-in pack from www.ultrafunk.com. I did a review of it for EM a little while back, and found the product to be quite good.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Power!, Sound Forge Power!, and SONAR Power! books, and Publisher of the DigiFreq music technology newsletter. Learn about cool tips and techniques for your music software by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... go to:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Hey Scott...

are you sure it's ultrafunk.com?? I couldn't pull up a page.:confused:

BTW...I purchased and love the CW Power! book...very detailed and informative. Can you write a Protools Power! book. I'm hoping to convert when I get some more cash...

zip >>

Hi Zip,

Hmmm... let me check. Yep, I just went there. The URL is:
http://www.ultrafunk.com/

Maybe their site was having some trouble when you tried earlier.

Hey, thanks! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying my book. Be sure to check out my free newsletter too (see below), if you haven't already.

I've never used ProTools, so I probably won't be writing a book about that one anytime soon. Sorry. :-)

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Power!, Sound Forge Power!, and SONAR Power! books, and Publisher of the DigiFreq music technology newsletter. Learn about cool tips and techniques for your music software by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... go to:

Thanks for all the replies. After days of comparing I purchased Anwida, db dynamics & limiter, Wave Surround, Roomverb & Ultrafunk. These in combination w/ a lot of tweaking make up a good mix.:)

Hey Scott...

Signed up at your site. Ultrafunk is back on line! Downloaded the demos to check them out.

ProTools Power! ProTools Power! ProTools Power! ;);)

zip >>

Thanks, Zip!

Yep, I got your subscription message. I'll be processing it later today. I hope you enjoy the newsletter!

ProTools Power! <grin>

Best,
Scott

--

Thanks for the link Proveras !!! Great stuff !!!

I've got my search narrowed down to a few companies:

For compressor/gate/limiter/expander -
Cakewalk FX1
db-audioware
Ultrafunk (compressor)
Hyperprism
F.A.Soft (compressor)

For spectrum analyzer -
PAS-Analyzer Pro (not a DirectX plugin)

I was also looking at the de-esser in db-audioware, the phase, surround and wah wah in Ultrafunk

Opinions anyone?

Be sure to check out Univeral Audios RealVerb before you think about any other plug in verbs. Its VERY processor intensive... thier new card lets you run a few as well as a bunch of EQ's, native.
If you happen to be using MAS, try Channelstrip.... 64 bit internal processing, the EQ's are supposedly outstanding, as are the compressors, which are look ahead.

Tubedude,

I checked out the Universal Audio stuff....I'm running on a PC platform so I can't use the Realverb (that is correct isn't it?). Are you using it, and if so, how do you like it? Any thoughts on any of the plug-ins I mentioned? Yeah, plug-ins can really dim the lights when you're using 'em.....I'm running an Intel Pentium III, 933 Mhz, 256 MB mem with a couple of 7200 RPM drives, so I haven't had too much problems so far with maxing out my DAW (knock wood).

Realverb Pro is the TDM version, and Realverb is the native version, which is slightly different because they are trying to alleviate some CPU weight. The UA Card runs the real Realverb pro, it does it without using your processor, so you can now use it native, but it'll prob be $1000. Havent seen a price yet.

Check out the waves stuff too. Extremely informative manuals that not only expalin what the plug-ins do, but they do a good job educating you on how to use the tools which will be beneficial in all applications.

www.waves.com

Back