what's going on!?

lucid

ok... i get home from school and turn my computer on. Strange thing: no image on monitor... strange. wait a few seconds. then random colours appear. i try restarting. same thing. so i say to myself that the video card must be fucked. so i change it with an old one i have lying around. all working well after the change...

so, today i get back from school again and fire up the comp... but what happens? same problem! so i switch the card back to the original and now it is fine!

what is going oN!

AMD XP 1800+
ASUS A7M266
512 Samsung DDR

If it's not your video card, chances are it's your monitor....Do you have another pc you could hook up your monitor to?

Sounds like a bad monitor to me too. Office Depot has 19" Viewsonic flat screen (flat, not lcd) monitors for $300 and 6 months no interest.

The next time it happens, try wiggling the monitor cable at both connectors and see if anything happens on the monitor. If not, give the monitor a good little whack on the side and see what happens.

I would bet it's either the monitor or the cable....and I'm leaning towards the cable. Both times this happened you switched video cards which means that you played with the cable.

It could be a lot more involved than this, but that's what I'd look into first!

Slackmaster 2000

well, since the last tim eit happened all has been working well... im hoping it's just the cable!

Back