What's goin' on with everybody

Alread done. 12x24, four foot of it will be a porch with 2 windows and door facing the mountains. I can hang out and party. Double door on opposite end. Two 3x5 windows in each side. Two pigtails for electric hookup with 6 outlets and two lights, 1.5 inch foam insulation in the floor, walls and ceiling, 40 year metal roof with one foot overhang on ends. With site prep, gravel and moister barrier, it is all going to come in under 8 grand. If I did that with the delivery guys it be close or over 13 grand. I will install a wood stove, ventless gas heater and and AC unit. Wish me luck. That gives me 240 sq ft of floor space, should be enough for four or five guys to rehearse or record in. I get almost all my wood stove wood free from either CL or market place on FB.
POIDH 8-)

It's nice being this old. The race is almost over, I won't have to run any more. I haven't finished in last place and I didn't win any medals. I am pretty content, live is good.
What the fuck, over! I went from a rebellious youth, compromising one conviction and one principal after another until there was nothing left to compromise.

I forgot to mention. I asked the gent, since I am in Virginia and you are out of Kentucky what is the tax going to be. "We don't charge no stinkin sales tax!"
Can't beat that. I would have been paying upwards to a thousand in taxes from the delivery guys.

"Ok for a 12x24 shed. That’s a 12x20 building with 4 ft porch making the floor total 24 ft long with 4 3x5 windows, 2 2x3 windows, 1 set of double doors, 1 single door with a 9 lite door glass, colored metal on the roof and $700 for wiring brings total price to $8,590. Did I miss anything."
He missed the windows in the double doors, another 180.
I ordered the gravel for under the shed, it will be delivered on monday. 5 tons, 200 dollars.

Reactions: TAE
The delivery guys want the same price for a 12x20 with no insulation and no electric, no windows on he back wall, no overhangs on the ends,plus tax.

I forgot to mention. I asked the gent, since I am in Virginia and you are out of Kentucky what is the tax going to be. "We don't charge no stinkin sales tax!"
Can't beat that. I would have been paying upwards to a thousand in taxes from the delivery guys.

"Ok for a 12x24 shed. That’s a 12x20 building with 4 ft porch making the floor total 24 ft long with 4 3x5 windows, 2 2x3 windows, 1 set of double doors, 1 single door with a 9 lite door glass, colored metal on the roof and $700 for wiring brings total price to $8,590. Did I miss anything."
He missed the windows in the double doors, another 180.
I ordered the gravel for under the shed, it will be delivered on monday. 5 tons, 200 dollars.

So Jerry, just a word of caution with this guy. I assume you have vetted him and know he is legit. You have seen his work first hand and or have spoken to previous clients. Don't give the dude a dime before doing so. You can always go with and pay for the materials as needed. Not sure of what the laws are in VA but I would assume a lot looser than in CA.
Seeing the completed work and speaking to at least one previous happy customer for me is a must these days. You know I went through a serious home renovation over the last few years. Aside from the crazy increase in building materials we live in a world with a lot of lazy assed, half assed punks that charge heavy, are flaky as hell and half ass everything. You're not building the Taj Mahal but it's real $$ and you want it done proper.

Just CYA it's not your first rodeo you old man. :laughings:

I have spoken with him in person. Seen lots of pictures of their work. Most of it is pretty far away. Spoke with his references. 500 when
they show up to start work. Family owned business and he has been in it for over twenty years. Payment in full when complete. He said it will take them at the most, two days to get it done once they start.

I was at the music store I always go to and mentioned I needed a power amp. The owner says, just take that one and get it out of here.
I bought a NAD preamp to go with it. 400 watts RMS a side into 8 ohms. The stereo kicks butt again.
amp.jpg

I put a CD on that I had been listening to for years and realized they recorded it off a record. I could hear the rumble of the turntable in silent parts.
This amp kicks ass! I opened it up to clean the two pots. There are four filter caps, 26,000 uf @85V. They are about the size of an eight ounce paper cup each!
I don't know, maybe this is amplifying the different frequencies more uniformly than others but it kicks ass.

I am not sure if it is a coal stove or a wood stove. I can burn wood in a coal stove so no worry. I am going up to the big old time general store for pipe and thimble. They will know. It isn't brick lined but it is double hulled. There may may be something in between. I don't know how much it weighs. The guy I bought it from picked it out of his truck and put in mine. I think he was part bear. If it is a coal stove there is somewhere around here my neighbor told me about where I can just pick it off the ground for free. It looks like Robbie the Robot.

I have a modern woodburning stove, where all the joints are double welded, and a double-glazed door. It does not have bricks, but the firebox is
lined with man-made fireproof panels. The stove itself can burn wood or coal, but the steel chimney cannot take the heat of coal. The chimney is dual walled steel, filled with insulation. It goes up through my bedroom, and the outer shell is just about touchable. In the UK, stoves and chimneys must be installed by HETAS approved installers. You can't do it yourself, although people do, and they also die of carbon-monoxide poisoning. The chimney has to work, and needs to be long enough to work. Installation is heavily regulated.

Wowza.

I'm sitting on the porch posting shit tl;dr on the net,.......

On the porch, in the dark, some big bunny kamikaze of a bug is bouncing off the walls and ceiling, all around me and the light from my device. Fly swatter, swing swing, SWING! Bullseye. Go back to what I am doing, posting really important stuff on the net....

Minutes later, all of a sudden another, out of nowhere in the dark, right in front of my face. Bam! Zipped down and nailed me on my leg. Happened so quickly. Bit me, stung me, I don't know. Got him off quickly, but still some immediate swelling, we'll see. Hit the light, yeah, the first was a big hornet. Pheromones attracted from the first? A bit concerning, but in a way awesome. I've never been bit/stung by a huge hornet bee. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Edit, took another look. It's not like a sting/hole, more like a longer then 1/8" wound. Do hornets sting or bite, or both depending on how much they like you?

Last edited:
I have a modern woodburning stove, where all the joints are double welded, and a double-glazed door. It does not have bricks, but the firebox is
lined with man-made fireproof panels. The stove itself can burn wood or coal, but the steel chimney cannot take the heat of coal. The chimney is dual walled steel, filled with insulation. It goes up through my bedroom, and the outer shell is just about touchable. In the UK, stoves and chimneys must be installed by HETAS approved installers. You can't do it yourself, although people do, and they also die of carbon-monoxide poisoning. The chimney has to work, and needs to be long enough to work. Installation is heavily regulated.
I have been installing wood stoves for a long time.

The one I managed to swat minutes before the other arrived and zapped me on the leg. After being stung by his friend I found him and he wasn't dead yet, so I showed him the bottom of my shoe to put him out of his misery. I guess he released pheromones which put the other in attack mode. This one is not as big as some I've seen. I usually try to ignore them and hope they ignore me.

IMG_20230905_133322494.jpg

In 4 months from now I'm retiring after 49 years in the work force. I plan to build (and ride) more fast gas-guzzling cars and motorcycles, increase my stock of 2A toys, and play my guitars and drums too loud. :guitar:

Back