Whats everyone using for amps?

What amp do you prefer?

• Total voters
If I have a default tone it's LP/Marshall crunch. Think Led Zep, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, etc... I like other stuff as well but I'm a classic rock guy at heart. That 1st channel/3rd mode is "Tweed" and yeah it's okay. The manual has a bunch of suggested settings and I think I'll try those to get an idea how the controls interact. Just a lot of options and I haven't taken the time to work 'em all out.

lou

For me, I use the switch in the up position ..... the lowest gain of the three. It's pretty wimpy compared to the others but I just run it at 90 watts and crank it ........ it's uber-clean. You'd probably hate it ....... a real twangy-country, pedal steel clean.

I get my crunch in the second channel ..... I think I use the Mark I mode and flip the other switch down. (obviously I don't bother with the names :D) For me the single most important thing is to get what I want for my clean ..... so I HAVE to get my crunch with the second channel. I also use the graphic with this channnel.

3rd channel is my sustainy sound ....... I'm still working on this ..... gradually using less and less gain as I figure out what I want.

Actually, I probably haven't used it a half-dozen times in the last 6 months. Virtually all my gigs are requiring something smaller. So I've been using my Blue Angel or Tiny Terror mostly.
That makes it harder to dial in the V as my memory of where I was is gone by the next time I use it. I do love the thing though ....... lots 'o' knobs and switches that do things!
:D

best ones i've ever enjoyed are a silverface princeton, mesa .22 cal. and my now #1 blackface bassman....though played a modded blackheart for a long while....don't underestimate a cheap modern tube amp with small mods.
lastly, in a pinch I have used a peavey studio pro II....with very satisfactory results....and it's SS baby.

I'm using a Fender Twin and I also use a Hiwatt DR-504 into a Marshall 1936 cabinet. This cabinet is a 2x12.
The Hiwatt is an incredibly clean sounding amp.
Both are really nice amps.

I've got a bunch of cheapies that I've hung on to, because they all have their place for various recording purposes (and some just go better with certain guitars & pedals):

Fender Blues Jr.(usually with comp and reverb)
Epiphone Valve Jr. (takes od/distortion pedals great--I like it with a Damage Control Liquid Blues tube overdrive, or a vintage Pro Co Rat)
Vox Valvetronix (no pedals; it's a modeler with built in fx and they're quite useable)
B-52 AT100 tube combo (poor man's mesa boogie rectifier--used to be my main amp, but just use it to track the occasional heavy riff now and again)

But unless I'm recording a certain sound (in other words, when I'm just playing to please myself and have a good time), 99% percent of the time, I'm plugged into this one:

Carvin Legacy 100w tube combo. It does everything. And it does "my" lead tone like nothing else I've ever played.

Maybe I'll sell all those others and buy a couple goats or a cow.

Epiphone Valve Jr. (takes od/distortion pedals great--I like it with a Damage Control Liquid Blues tube overdrive, .
I use that exact combination quite a bit. That Liquid Blues pedal has a LOT of different ways you can use it. It makes a great clean boost and the comp in it is way cool.

I have a Fender Cyber Champ and a Fender Automatic (both 12" speaher 50-60 watts). I had a wonderful Amped VT120. 3 Channel, 120 way, 12" speaker, 4 6l6GC tubes. This thing would rip your face off. But it weighed 65lbs. A real arm stretcher. It because of that amp I have a box full of vintage tubes. I went a little crazy with matched quads and 12ax7's.

Ampeg_VT120-1.jpg

Ampeg_VT120-4.jpg

Now I use mostly software (VST) amps with Reaper.

Mike

I have a Fender Cyber Champ and a Fender Automatic (both 12" speaher 50-60 watts). I had a wonderful Amped VT120. 3 Channel, 120 way, 12" speaker, 4 6l6GC tubes. This thing would rip your face off. But it weighed 65lbs. A real arm stretcher. It because of that amp I have a box full of vintage tubes. I went a little crazy with matched quads and 12ax7's.

Ampeg_VT120-1.jpg

Ampeg_VT120-4.jpg

Now I use mostly software (VST) amps with Reaper.

Mike
nice amp ..... I have several 70's Ampeg combos ...... they weigh around 95lbs! That's just too much ..... but to hell with me if I can't pick up 65lbs .... :D ....... it's time to put me in the bone orchard.
When I bought my Mark V I set the weight limit for amps for me at 65lbs ironically enough. That's what the V combo weighs and I figure I can handle that ....... I'm old BTW.

65 lbs: It was those 2 huge transformers and that giant magnet on the Celestion speaker. They're what made that amp so heavy, but sound so hot. I did love it.

The amp I had before that was a Mitchell Sand Amp 2-12. Nice SS amp. Had a closed back and an open port across the front/bottom. At the back of that port is was beveled at 45°. Inside that baffle was filled with sand so it wouldn't resonate. Great Idea Right? Yea, except it was filled with SAND. Another heavy amp. After the Mitchell and then the Ampeg, 65lbs was more than I wanted to deal with anymore. The Fender Cyber Champ probably weighs 40-45 lbs. That's about right for a 1-12" amp in my opinion.

I was looking for a picture of the Mitchell, but it seems to be lost in history. A nice clean sounding 2-12 with about 30 watts.

Mike

About a year ago I got an Orange TH100 to use as backup - it sounded kind of flat to me (good for metal, but that's not what I'm doing these days). Traded it yesterday for a OR100, which I'm playing through right now - much better!

Cool stuff here. Not sure if I'm allowed to post pics yet, but I'll give it a shot. I have a lot of amps, but this one is a favorite (and all the talk of heavy amps reminded me of it cuz it weights a ton). It's a Mark IV that I restored. Completely trashed when I got it, I built a new cabinet and an extension cabinet, both solid cherry w/dovetail joinery, replaced all the knobs, cleaned it up and it looks like new!

markiv.jpg

Back