What's better than a 57 for guitar?

vwcsonic

Hi,
I'm looking to beef up my mic collection, as I need to do some live recording and mic several amps at once. Thinking of picking up a few 57s, but does anyone recommend something different under $100 for loud guitar close micing?

Or does anyone know how to tell if a 57 is one of the older "better" made ones before production moved to Mexico?
Thanks

Heh-heh, being an acoustic guitarist I saw the thread title and was going to say "almost anything" but guess I can't say that now after reading the post. :D

Tim

I`ve been using sm58 with succsess, sennheiser 825 is good.
and SPb1 all good in my opinion.

I've been quite pleased with the Sennheiser e609s on guitar.

Better? Depends on who you talk too.

Different but certainly on par? Definitely.

Yep, Sennheiser E609S can work well, sometimes even paired on the same guitar cabinet with a 57. Quite a bit more but a versatile mic all around is the Sennheiser 421.

MadAudio said:

I'd second this. Do a search for "SM-57 vs e609s" and you'll see lots of opinions too.

Last edited:
The Shure SM 57 is a very widely used mic for guitars in the music scene for gigs in pubs and clubs Australia wide. The fact is they are known for being very robust and a very good companion when used with another mic such as the Sennheiser for recording.

For playing gigs the SM57 is the industry standard.

MadAudio said:

+1 on the e609

what i love doing is double tracking, once with a 57, once with an e609, then panning to taste. sounds massive, big, powerful, etc.

I personally love the sound of The royer ribbon's (r-121) big and round tone.
Also a LDC can also sound nice is off axis of the speaker cone.
A 57 can sound great also if you use it in conjunction with other mics.
I know these arent but 100 bucks or less, but try using the 57 with other mics.

-Finster

vwcsonic said:
Thinking of picking up a few 57s, but does anyone recommend something different under $100 for loud guitar close micing?

You'll get many opinions on this but the truth is the 57 is such a versatile mic for pretty much any instrument (including voice) that you just simply can't go wrong with one. Mic placement and careful EQ'ing will alter the sound of the 57 so you can pretty much get any reasonable sound out of it. In fact, I've heard 57's used on Beatles covers, without any reverb nor compression, printed to Analog tape and was astounded at the sound. Stick with 57's and pay more attention to mic placement and perhaps some eq (if/when needed).

~Daniel

e609S...

it's kind of a poor man's 421

definitely contrasts the 57

you can drap it over the cab... no mic stand needed

it's side addressed

check this clip to get an idea on the difference between the 57 and e609S... or visit Sonixx for more clips

Back