What's Best for Live Voc's, Condenser or Dynamic

Scheisskopf99

I am interested in micing for live Solo Vocals and Acoustic Guitar (folk guitar type music). I own an Audio Technica AT4041, which is a very sensitive condenser mic that I use for home recording. Can I use this for playing live as well, or will it pick up too much background noise? What is better for my situation, condenser or dynamic? Also, do I need to mic both the guitar and vocals separately, or will one mic work for both? Thanks.

Well........... I think your AT4041 will be fine for micin your geetar, and for vocals a nice Shure SM58 or Beta 58 or 57 would be great. And if U don't want to use your AT for live, buy a Shure SM57 or Beta 57 for your geetar or maybe even a pick up of sorts, up to U. Nothin very fancy, those Shure mics are great and used for live music everywhere.

Sabith

OK

Thanks. That's kinda where I was leanin', but I wanted to get a second opinion before I made a purchase. What is the Beta series about? Are they cheaper, or better than Shure?

Scheisskopf99, the Beta's _are_ Shure's. They are a series of Shure mikes that are more expensive than the Shure SM series. It is debatable whether a Beta 57 is worth the extra money over an SM57. I own both and personally I feel that in the case of guitar, it isn't, but in terms of vocals, it is.

Back