what's all the fuss about noise floor?? any feedback?

halfred

I just got a pair of SP C4's. When I opened the package and read the spec sheet it said 18db noise and I thought, crap! ---it said 16db noise on the website! But, the mics are quiet. Almost, if not as quiet as the Rode NT1A'a I was using. What does all this mean? I used a pair of Pulsars which did a great job for my purposes, but they were a bit noisey, like a faint hum or white noise the background. They were 16db noise so I attributed it to that, as compared to the Rodes which I think the specs are 8db. Guess not. What's up with that. Something I don't understand here. Although I'm happy to find it out.

correction. after listening again, the C4's are not as quiet as the NT1A's but they are quiter than the Pulsars and they have a higher noise (18db) than the Pulsars (16 db) so I'm looking for an explanation.

crrection. The spec sheet that came with the C4's said 18db noise, however these are the spec of the C4's before 2006. They were redesigned in 2006 and it was lowered to 16db. However they still are quieter than the Pulsars even though they are both 16db. The guy i spoke with at SP said that SP is bad at either updating or inserting the correct info that comes with the package.

Noise floor is mainly an issue if you don't have proximity. Ten yards plus away. Or if you're recording multiple tracks and mixing them. It adds up. Or if you're doing stereo recording and your mics are not matched. It gives a sort of niagra falls is THAT WAY effect.

20dB or less shouldn't be problematic for piano. But for a lecture with a soft spoken person and you're sitting back row. Also bear in mind that preamps add noise too. If your preamps are set lower because your mics have a stronger input, even with a higher floor on the mics, the total input has a lower floor.

Noise floor is mainly an issue if you don't have proximity. Ten yards plus away. Or if you're recording multiple tracks and mixing them. It adds up. Or if you're doing stereo recording and your mics are not matched. It gives a sort of niagra falls is THAT WAY effect.

20dB or less shouldn't be problematic for piano. But for a lecture with a soft spoken person and you're sitting back row. Also bear in mind that preamps add noise too. If your preamps are set lower because your mics have a stronger input, even with a higher floor on the mics, the total input has a lower floor.

Oh I see. I'm recording 6-8ft from piano so that would still be considered proximity. I thought proximity was more like close micing. Thanks, that is helpful.
With this new Tascam recorder, I really don't have to turn the gain up much to peak at -6 to -3db. Just a little more than half way. Think I got a little spoiled by the NT1A's--totally quiet. With the C4's, there is something but it is minimal. Can only really hear it during the silences. They are doing an awsome job for my application, though. I'm impressed!!

Proximity is relative. You can't be 6-8' away from a group of 60 brass players in a semi-circle. Even if you could most mics can't handle that type of SPL level. Although it depends on how you define the term too. You could if EVERYONE had their own mic. But I don't know if you'd gain anything going that route.

Now proximity effect is different and needs to encrouch upon that last 3' of proximity. That thing with the increased bass response due to proximity.

"Now proximity effect is different and needs to encrouch upon that last 3' of proximity. That thing with the increased bass response due to proximity."

---------??

---------??

If you sing with the mic in your mouth, it makes you sound like Barry White. Not really, but but the frequency response of some mics change with proximity. Probably closer to that last 6" than 3' though. And the change is a bump in the lower EQ. It's why wind noise and such can be soo problematic with some mics. i.e. Some mics can handle it with small foam covers. Others need a zepellin that is a 100x's bigger than the business end of the mic. And a dead cat (fake fur cover).

If you sing with the mic in your mouth, it makes you sound like Barry White. Not really, but but the frequency response of some mics change with proximity. Probably closer to that last 6" than 3' though. And the change is a bump in the lower EQ. It's why wind noise and such can be soo problematic with some mics. i.e. Some mics can handle it with small foam covers. Others need a zepellin that is a 100x's bigger than the business end of the mic. And a dead cat (fake fur cover).

yeah, no dead cats.

Back