What's a sequencer? (...and other fun q's)

Forte

Before anyone gets on my case, yes I did search. I just wanted to make sure I have to story straight. From what I gather, it's pretty much a "digital" type of multi-track. If that's the case, is software like N-Track or Cakewalk considered types of sequencers? Frooty Loops? I've heard those programs referred to as "software studios". So what's a software studio? Are they audio editors? Does that mean that programs like Cakewalk are sequncers/audio editors/software studios? Are they more than that?

A sequencer is a midi device. It records and plays back sezuences of midi messages. And also allows you to program the sequences. But you're not recording audio. Just midi messages.

Some come with an internal audio source, others are just sequencers and have to be connected (via midi) to a module or synth of some sort to allow you to hear something. So, you just program what notes have to be played where, and what parameters (CC) have to be set to which value at what time. The sounds are coming from your module or synth in this case.

Software sequencers are the software version of this. They will play back the sequences using a midi out port, or by sending some sort of virtual midi signal to a software synth or software sampler. Or they can use your soundcards builtin gm-midi sounds to play it back.

Alot of audio programs have a built in sequencers. Cakewalk allows both audio and midi to be recorded if I'm not mistaking. Some scaled down versions of programs allow only for the sequencer to be used, no audio.

An audio editor is basically a program that allow you to edit audio. So that would not include recording, certainly not on multiple channels. Just cutting, pasting, adding effects,.... Kindof like a photoshop for audiosamples. But most programs allow alot more I guess. I'm don't know that many programs.

I guess a softwarestudio would be something like cakewalk, that allows you to record multiple tracks, add effects, mix the tracks, maybe has a builtin sequencer and audio editor.

I'm not an expert on the field, but I assume that I'm pretty much correct here... Correct me if I'm wrong.

MIDI device? Why that's interesting! Hmmm, so then, it's "MIDI version" of a multi-track? So, a sequencer is not an audio editor... hmmm I came to that conclusion because I heard Pro Tool be referred to as an audio editor, and some place else as a sequencer - but I guess that would make software studio because software studio is a bunch of stuff. Right...?

A sequencer is a tool that allows your to group and overlap tracks to create a composition. There are midi sequencers, but there are also non midi sequncers such as the MPC. These allow you to play your guitar, or rather sample a song, and then place your sample into a sequnce and track seperate parts over you sample. A sequncer is just a tool that allows you to track seperate midi notes, instuments, whatever and compose them as you wish track by track

So like I said, it's kind of like a multi-track.... right??? That's the first impression I got, then Roel mentioned MIDI's, so I guess it's a "MIDI multi-track". I have nTrack, would that be considered a multi-track/sequencer? Would having a multi-track be better than having a sequencer? I was looking into getting some synths, they mentioned that having a built in sequencer would be good, but if I already have nTrack, what good would one do? It's the same thing no (pretty much)?

You are very close. MIDI is basically like a programmable digital player piano. A sequencer records the notes you play (and a lot of other stuff) and will play that back through a midi keyboard.

Software studio isn't really a common term. A Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) records digital audio and this is what ProTools and Ntracks are. Some programs like Sonar, Logic and Nuendo etc. combine a DAW and a sequencer for the best of both worlds. Digital audio and midi sequences can be recorded in one multitrack environment.

If you arent using keyboards or softsynths than you don't really need a sequencer. MIDI can be used to control effects processors, edit and store patches and volume automation of certain mixers. So if you want that type of functionality you would need a sequencer.

Well, I think I'm going to use a synth. See, I would like to implement some horns or woodwinds into my music, but I don't own any (or play them all). So I figured I could use a synth to create that. It can do that right? So, my idea was to just plug the keyboard into the soundcard 9or mic it) and play the "horn" in one track just like I would my guitar.
I understand the concept of a sequencer now, it's more like MIDI information that you're saving in different track, and your sound card translates it. Would that give me better results than my method?

If your going to use a synth then you want to use a midi sequncer thereby locking your keyboard into sync with your recording program. In theory you could a program like N-tracks to sequnce however you dont have the benefits of recording midi notes(if you so choose). The only real differnce between a multitracker and sequncer is that a sequncers is designed for instrument recording, and gives you tools such as a metronomes and fixed bar settings. Wheres as a multiracker is more of an open ended recording tool.

You can completely ignore midi and sequencers if you just want to play the parts into the multitrack. Just record it like a guitar.

The advantage to midi is that you can edit the actual performance and change the sounds that are being triggered. You can step write notes into the sequencer if you want to compose a piece that is too difficult for you to play. You can also record a lot more midi parts without using up as many audio tracks. The final step in sequencing is to record the audio from the keyboard as the sequencer replays the synth parts.

So if you can play it live and don't need all the extra editing capabilities you can cut to the chase and just record the synth as you play.

Cool. That's good to know. I'll look into getting something with a built-in sequencer if it's in my budget. I'd like having the option of being able to use one if one day it suits my fancy, but it's good to know that I don't need one. Thanks a lot guys. :D

think of a sequencer as what was called a "pianola", that is a piano where you put piano rolls that told the machine what note to play. That was different from playing the note itself. The advantage is that you change the piano roll and it changes the music. What is recorded in the paper roll is not the music itself, but the instructions on what to do to generate the music.

You can see these pianos/machines in some shopping malls or hotels over here.

A sequencer is like a pianola, and the rolls are the sequencer files.
I recommend you to use your computer as a sequencer. They are much more flexible than hardware ones. Of course, if you need portability then go the other way arounf.
Cheers, Andrés

Back