What's a pixillator?

tmcbrinn

I'm curious as to what a pixillator effects does? All I know is that it is an industrial type of effect which is found mostly on DOD guitar processors, and with the wall and boxes of effects and signal processors I have, I don't think I have one.

It's a variable undersampler. I think it will go down to 4bits. It will make anything sound like garbage (read as cool). You get all the undersampling perks, aliasing, distortion, truncation artifacts, etc. It was developed in conjunction with Charlie Clouser from NIN. Once you've tried one you'll recognize the sound from a bunch of hard rock and industrial songs. I still hang on to my TEC4 for the Pixellator FX alone.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

So is Dod the only company that offers Pixillators with there multi-fx? Cause I've only seen it on DOD products, which to be honest I'm not too found of.

Yeah. The crappier you make something sound, the better it is, and the cooler your image will be.

To be pixillated is an old expression for being drunk.I wonder what the connection is?Truncated speech?Aliased balance?Odiferious artifacts?

Tom

Well, this kinda sux, cause I need a processor, and I really think I could get use out of this Pixillator thing, but I wanna use it for gigs as well, but I'm afraid DOD's stuff will give me nothing but feedback. I was actually thinking of getting one of those floorboards and using the thing for vocal effects, and this pixillator thing would be an alternitive to vocal distortion. I wish I could just build this stuff myself.

More

The DOD VoFX has a pixellator in it and XLR in/out. It's designed for vocal processing, Adam the lead singer for The Fly's uses one all the time. It also has distortion and other FX. I'm sure with a little tweaking you could get it to work.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

I haven't been able to find any VoFX units, and the Votec which is the only other option is according to what I've heard horrible for gigs, and gets tererible feedback.

Back