What's a nice mic for bass cab?

picostudios

Just curious. Right now I have an Audix D6. Just wondering if the Beta 52 or D112 would be a better choice for bass cabinets?

It depends somewhat on the tone you're going for. The Beta52 works well but can miss some of the high end definition if your sound has that. I had good success last weekend with an Audio-Technica ATM25 which seemed to capture the total sound better.

Yeah, I noticed the D6 that I have doesn't capture enough of that "twang" sound just the deep lows. It's good for some music, but like poppy style punk rock (nofx, set your goals, face to face, blink 182) you want it to be real bright sounding. And I would rather say away from having to boost the hell out of EQ.

You could also try double mic'ing it with something like an SM57 to pick up the high/mids if you don't want to purchase another mic at this point.

Second the ATM25. It has flatter response than the 52 or D6, a better place to start for bass, IMO. Not as much low-end hype, so a more focused sound, to my ears.

picostudios said:
It's too bad Sam Ash website doesn't sell this baby.

AlexW's advice is pretty good, and if bleed isn't an issue the bass response on the D6 drops with distance (proximity effect).

Also, ebay might be a good place to look. The ATM is a pretty versatile mic, if you ask me. I have used it on kick, floor tom, bass, horns, vocals, and probably a few other things, as well.

The reason I was sad because Sam Ash doesn't sell it is because today I am gettin a Sam Ash credit card. I wanted to use that extra denero to obtain some tid bits for my studio. It needs some sprucing up.

I always have 3 bass sources, e602 on the cab, sm57 on the cab, DI bass.

Mix to taste and you have a perfect bass sound (well as perfect as you can get without spending £1000s)

just got an re-27
it's deffinately my new go-to bass mic
good for many otherthings as well

I have been using an RE-20, or the Neumann BCM701 these days. I also really love the TLM170 as well. I have had good results with so many combinations, that these mics I reference are really just a starting point, and they stay up a good percentage of the time. For rock growl: BCM701, for dub lows: RE20 or FET47...

For low money: 57 with a 4033 works really well. i like the 4033 on low end stuff a bunch.

Hope that helps.

I have had good luck with the Shure SM7 paired up with a direct line. The bass tone is very important too. Often mics will pick up a lot less "bass" than what you're hearing in the room unless you spend a lot of time tweeking the amp and placement.

actually, the oppisite of this is one of the things i like about the re-27
i can get right up in the grill and not end up with a bunch of extra bass.
(small space, i close mic everything to avoid as much bleed as possible)

edit: and dam does that place look nice! (ryan)

Back