Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
I used to use Cubase, as I got it free with an Audigy soundcard about 10 years ago, but I always found it very finicky to use. I bought the Adobe CS3 Box set for graphics/video work a few years ago now (2007?) and started using Audition and I found it MUCH easier to use than cubase. The interface is very intuitive as you'd expect from adobe. Earliar this year I got a copy of Cubase 5 with my Zoom R16 and I thought I'd start using that but the same finicky interface issues that I had before were still there and I was not at all happy with it. I recently started using Reaper and I must say I really like it, but I'm still swapping from Reaper to Audition, because I find both have their strengths. I'm learning about mastering at the moment and I just find it easier to work with Auditions effects rack and metering system for mastering than using Reapers. But that said, I've only scratched the surface with reaper. I have WAY more to learn about it.

Cubase has essentially been the same over the years, they just added more bells and whistles. The interface has looks essentially the same though.

Audtion from version 1 to version 2 changed a lot IMO. I see they are on version 6 though? So yeah I guess it's been some time since I have used this software. haha

I have not used logic enough to pass judgement, but I thought it was intuitive enough to start recording pretty fast.

Reaper is very impressive with how fast you can get things up and running, I just didn't care for the GUI (and yes I know you can change that a little) or the lack of mouse tools that I'm used to.

Live was by far the worst interface I have used in terms of "what I expect to see" after watching some demos though, again not hard to get up and going. Just not for me in terms of workflow.

Record was also really excellent and I got to beta test Record before they released it (Reason 6 is now record+reason). Very neat interface and a nice roster of features. I currently still use Reason 5 from time to time.

Ohm Studio is a very nice interface and when it finally comes out I think it will be a real "game changer" (as much as I HATE that term) in the way that musicians make music together. I did some drums and had a guy in Australia play guitar over it, all done in 15 mins. It was crazy. The downside IMO was there are features I'm used to having in cubase that are not there in Ohm Studio.

I've used cubase since LE version 1, went to SL3, then cubase 5, and now cubase 6. I can't think of any time where this software hasn't been able to do what I need it to do.

Pro Tools. Have used this since version 5. Pro Tools HD has always been great in my opinion, thier native offerings have been COMPLETE garbage up till version 9... and even after version 9, I find the artificial limit imposed on latency compensation to be nonsense when you compare it to everyone else on the market.

I haven't used Sonar or Studio one, I have watched a user of Sonar record with it, but that's it. I have not used or watched anyone used Studio one, but that integrated melodyne feature looks really nice.

All that said though, they ALL work like they are supposed to and they all have the ability to get you from start to finish one way or another.

Hi there.
I had same problem while ago. I reed lots of forums etc but really you would have to try and see whats better for you.
I used Logic for long time and its apsolutlly fantastic. I like in logic easy of use. its solid and never fails. quick bouncing and dont killing my computer like protools when using many plugins.
at the moment Im using protools and I dont like that its killing my processor and you never know when you get error message. sometimes in the middle of recording.
but I choice it because its amaizing for editing , cuting and wathever. In this case its best. also I like it because its on PC as well. Im on mac now but newer apple software is so crap that i dont
know for haw long i will stay with them. for example - some programs just works one the snow leopard systems (ez drummer , east west etc)
lion and newest snow lion will dont let you install them.

all off those programs are good and give you great results , plugins you can use third party on all of them.
also I really like Cubase for midi. Its the best midi editor ever :)

good luck with your choice.

One more.
look at tutorials etc availability. its very important too.
another reason why I like protools.

Both Samplitude and Studio One have event based editing, a feature that makes audio editing much faster and easier. Other DAWs are starting to add this feature as well.

The underlying math of various audio engines is very similar, so for me it comes down to workflow and how intuitive is the platform. For example, some years back I bought an interface that came with Logic (back when it was still cross-platform). Logic was rock solid in operation compared to many other DAWS at the time, but so unintuitive to use that I quickly moved on to another platform (Samplitude).

i have become very quick with logic so it is the one for me - on that token most DAW's operate similarly so it is down to a matter of taste. they all have pro's and cons you only really discover when you hit that obstacle. currently learning to use Pro Tools in uni and that is powerful, has a lot to offer for sound design. Ableton is great for sampling/loop based productions as well.

Ableton.

I've used Reaper, Mixcraft, ProTools etc at various points and Ableton is the one I feel comfy with. I consider myself quite "simple" (being nice to myself there) when it comes to music production etc so I recommend it mainly because if I can use it, most other people should be able to.

I have been through many DAW's and my personal favourite is Cubase for several reasons.

Nuendo, Pro Tools, Reaper, Logic and Reason and are others I've used, but in the end I kept going back to cubase, something about it just works for me better than the others, my brain seems to like it and the layout... I'd get SADiE and probably ditch Cubase if money was no object

I found Mixcraft 6 to be the easiest program out there...again, this is what works for me....!! :0

Doesn't that suggest that you have actually tried every program out there? That's an awful lot of trying, considering how long you have to use each one to get a handle on it. But like I said, everyone thinks that the DAW they use is the best one. They can't all be the best. Just use what you use and make the best recordings you can.

My choice of Mixcraft 6 came about due to price, the fact that I'm just getting into home recording now, and having tried out Ableton Live 9 (came with my audio interface), Reaper, Pro Tools 6, and a couple of other packages, and, like the previous poster said ease of use; I keep coming back to it. Support is good, there's a good community out there, it's easy to use, and so far it's done everything I need. It doesn't have side chaining, but hopefully, if I ever need it, it'll be added in Mixcraft 7.

Hard to beat $75 for a very usable and good quality DAW.
I hear Reaper is very good, but I just find it.... messier.

Just picked up Presonus Studio One Artist for $5, might load that up and try it out soon.

Yep, everyone has their own personal reasons for sticking to whatever DAW works for them. There is never a real answer to the question of which one is "best". Yes, Reaper is a little bit messy compared to Sonar, for example. I have run a few projects through Reaper to try to get a feel for it but I feel no compulsion to jump ship. Personal preferences go a long way to determining popularity but they are personal preferences after all. That's the best we can offer on this question. You have to look at other DAWs to see if you are missing anything but you always stick to what you are comfortable with.

I use logic. Not so much to record but their sound processing has come a lon g way in recent years and like most apple anything, it is pretty easy to use right off the bat.

The newest releases of Reason have totally amazed me. I've been using it since 3.0, but 6.5 stuck this beautiful SSL 9000j in front of my face, with all the bells and whistles. If you haven't seen it, you should. The addition of midi out, (which was previously unavailable) adds a new functionality for externals as well as VSTs. It is just well done.

Back