Whats a Good Stacked Single Coil PU??

steveaustin

I like an aggressive tone from my bridge PU & wanna put something in my strat but don't wanna change the pickguard for a humbucking. Something comparibale to a modern humbucker that still looks like a traditional singlecoil, 6 poles. Would go for the double coil look as a last option. Clear, articulate & medium to highouput.

Steve I am tempted to say, I dont know but you probably wont find one on an Ibanez, but you would probably accuse me of being a wiseass?:D

Try a Duncan "hot rails", some people might not like them but I do. They make one for the tele too, and I had one of them in my last strat, and it seemed to have more output than the strat model...go figure.

(steve falls to the floor laughing but hit's head on desk on the way down & lies in a coma for 3 days)

Last edited:
Try some of the Lace-sensor pick-ups. I've got the gold one's, they have a typical single coil sound. But, there are also other models that have old hum-bucker sound, hot-strat and others. Here's the web-site:

http://www.agi-lace.com/

The prices are also reasonable. Depending on model, but most less than $100.

I'VE BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

and what i found was the seymore duncan lil '59 er.......

it's almost (almost) a dead ringer for an old 59 paf........
it's not stacked, it's two small coils in the space of a single...

i'll post a link to a song that has it all over it if you want to hear it........

the reason i bought it was because my guitar has a maple top, and no pickup cover, and the hole for the pickup was originally for an emg sa, and so there's no triangular kick out hole for the wires....

this pickup doesn't have that, and fits like a glove.

I run a hot rail on mex strat and at high gain, I can get that "whistling harmonic" with a little chorus. Kinda cool effect like on Eagle's "All ready Gone".

I have had a Jackson stack humbucker in the bridge position of my Strat for about 3 years.Very happy with it.

Tom

Come to think of it, I have a silver & a red lace sensor around the house some where. Got gold in both my strat plus gtrs, luv em' to death! The 59er sounds good.

The little 59 is awesome, but it doesn't "look" like a single coil. The Lace Holy Grails are unbelievable, but they don't sound like humbuckers, they sound like really tough single coils. To get a really heavy sound from a Strat, you really need to go the Hendrix route and slam your tube amp input with a big fat fuzz pedal. I just bought a Foxx Fuzz Wah Octave that has the meanest most intense distortion sound ever, and it's almost 30 years old. That'll make the wimpiest strat sound killer. but you probably want more of a modern sound, so go with the little '59.

Ever heard of Bill Lawrence noisefree pickups? They are a "hybrid" stacked single coil type, & look traditional (6 poles.) He just came out with a more aggressive sounding bridge model called the L-290. http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/280.htm

I have the L-280 set in my Am. Std. strat, and the neck pickup is the best I have ever heard. You cant go wrong with atleast tring out these pickups, they cost just $40 each and Bill doesnt cut corners by using cheap materials, he uses only the best. And to beat that, you can also call him toll free and talk to "the man" himself about what pickups/tone you are after! The only place you can get these pickups is from Bill himself, so those StewMac "Lawrence" pickups are NOT the real thing!

http://www.billlawrence.com/

Fender Noiseless Pups

Hi Steve,
One of the best musical purchases I ever made was to replace the pups in my Mex Strat with a set of 3 Fender Noiseless pups. Tone for days. Great output. Real spank in the 2 and 4 position. Awesome for Heavy or Blues rock.
$149.00 @ Guitar Center.
BTW, Just found out today that Guitar Center owns MusiciansFriend.
Bought them 2 yrs. ago.
Small world.
Anyhoo, Good Luck.
C

Back