What's a good preamp for RODE NTK?

Some microphone preamplifiers color the sound and some are more transparent... you may want to get a few preamp's.

oneArtist,
you might have heard of the new RNP = real nice preamp....it's been tried by some memebers on this board and got some good reviews...you could search for RNP and read what ppl think of them....(I think tubedude has one?!)
about $500 USD I think

Check it out at www.fmraudio.com

I use my NTK mostly through a Joemeek twinQcs, alternating between the on-board optical compression (for color) and an RNC compressor (for wicked clean). With that combination, you can get almost any sound you want on 2 channels. The twinQ and the RNC together come in just under $1000. If you only want 1 channel, try Joemeek VC1Qcs. People will tell you these are colored amps, but this is mostly a function of their agressive optical compressors. BTW, the color is *very good* and complements the NTK quite well. If you want clean, turn off the compressor. If you want clean *and* compressio, patch in an RNC.-Richie

Maybe this comment is way out of line, but IMO any good pre is the answer to that. RNP is a good choice.

The reason is that the NTK is self powered so (correct me if I'm wrong, someone) gain staging will be much different (simpler?) than for a phantom powered mic. I'm shootin' in the dark, here... all you need is about 15db more gain, and your signals should be hot enough. (From actual experience with the NTK--10-15db of gain has done the trick for me)

And let the professionals whiz all over that comment! :)

This week-end I recorded acoustic guitar with Baby Bottle going through VTB-1, NTK through RNP, and 414-TLII through Sytek.

The NTK was very pleasing through the RNP. Tons of "body" without the mud and silky highs without harshness.

Bowisc

Bowisc,
Thanks for the good word. I just ordered a RNP from Humbacker.
Now I'm working up the nerve to order a RME ADI-8 AE converter and I'm planning to get a BLUE Dragon Fly also. I'm taking the route of quality parts with the shortest distance to recording.
Mics>RNP/PresonusMP20/Joe MeekQ3> ADI-8 AE>RME Multiface/PCI>Samplitude>Plexwriter48/24/48 with a side route out to Fostex D824HDR.
Chuck

oneArtist,

Yup... good choice. Check out Dot's thread here "Pre or not to Pre". Should help. Something I just tried with the NTK verified his thread; got the signal hot as possible into the NTK (cranked a guitar amp) and only had to use 10db of a very average sounding pre...

Since it was only used for a 10db boost, the pre (a DMP3) didn't color the tracks very much. Result? Very focused, clean, and very mixable tracks.

That self-power unit for the NTK is a sweet, and very underrated gain-stage box.

So, I stand by my earlier comments :) Use any good pre with the NTK, and you'll be satisfied.

Chad

Tell me that Mics>RNP/PresonusMP20/Joe MeekQ3> ADI-8 AE>RME Multiface/PCI>Samplitude>Plexwriter48/24/48 is not your actual signal chain. If so, you have some stuff in there that can/should be skipped.
I am tracking wth the RNP this weekend using various nice mics, and will post some results as soon as ready.

Tubedude,

That was a list of several preamps I have, My route will be: Blue Dragonfly>RNP>ADI-8 AE>ADAT ins of Multiface> Samplitude> Plexwriter48/24/48(Samplitude has it's own CD burning software).

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I got the Dragonfly and RME ADI-8-AE(ordered for $1130) from Guitar Center using low price quotes from the internet(I feel a little guilty doing that but this was that annual "buy now and pay in 2004". They've suckered me in for the last three years - I can't resist using their money for 14 months and having them match the best prices I can find on the net) I picked up a Fender Acoustasonic Junior too.

participant said:
Something I just tried with the NTK verified his thread; got the signal hot as possible into the NTK (cranked a guitar amp) and only had to use 10db of a very average sounding pre...

Since it was only used for a 10db boost, the pre (a DMP3) didn't color the tracks very much. Result? Very focused, clean, and very mixable tracks.

There's certainly something to be said for putting as little burdon on your pre as possible so as to minimize it's role in the signal chain. That's often why home recordists have a rougher time geting optimal performance out of dynamic mics and especially ribbons.

If that's your strategy, then another mic you should have a serious look at down the road is the BLUE Baby Bottle. It cranks out probably a little too much gain on it's own, if not way too much. To the point where the preamp might in some cases be used as a means to turn the gain down a bit. :D A dedicated -10 db pad is a good accessory to have handy, obviously.

But seriously, just about any pre with enough headroom and phantom power should allow the baby bottle to shine.

Good to know, chess. Thanks for corroborating what the experience taught me about gain staging. The BLUE mics have looked good for a while. I'll have to check 'em out :)

Here's a link to a good price on a Baby Bottle. This is also where I got the best price on a Dragonfly: http://www.ggvideo.com/blue.htm
The RME system is new to me. I got tired of fighting the incompatability issues between Pulsar/Emagic and Athlon. I still have to wait two weeks for the ADI-8 AE converter but I can got directly into the RME Multiface box for now. I'll keep you posted on how it works. I've only read good things about RME.
Chuck

Back