What's a good Digital EQ to buy?

ClassicalMetal

I'm new to this form. I'm new to bbs period. This is my first. So please forgive if i fail in anyway.
I do have a small home recording stuio setup. I have been recording off and on for a couple years now.
I've been reading alot of the different post/threads and the one thing i'm picking up on is the importance of having an EQ. I don't have one, except thru cakewalk home studio 2004. yeah and i'd hardly call it an EQ. But anyway, i was hoping to get advise on the good bad and ugly on Digital EQ's.

My current setup:
computer: 1.6G AMD, 512M RAM, SB Live sound card, 1-40G HD, 1-60G HD.
software: Cakewalk Home Studio 2004
Mixer: Tascam TM-D1000
Keyboard: Alesis 88 key. Can't remember the model number. (i'm at work)
Guitar effects: TC Electronic GForce Guitar Multi-Effects (this is nice)
denoiser: Behringer DSP1424P Ultramizer
Mic: cheap
Guitar: Jackson Dinky bridge humbucker, single, neck sustain

Keyboard and mic go directly to mixer. Guitar goes to g-force then mixer. then my mixer connects to my SB Live via SPDIF. Just a cheap RCA cable.

I want a digital EQ so when i change from guitar to bass to vocals, i wouldn't have to reset all the sliders manuall. just select a program and switch automatically.
Hope i have enough info for this question.
I apperciate any help.
Thanks

If you are going outboard I recomend the Wiess Digital EQ. Its gonna run you about $6000USD. If that is out of your price range just get a good analog EQ and do manual recalls. I can't think of any other digital EQ that I would recomend if you really care about sound quality. The analog world is really far better for what you are looking to do.

hehe - we could all chip in on the Weiss and buy one...I'd like to use it 2nd Tuesday of every month :D

I think you might like the DEQ2496 - it'll keep you busy learning some cool EQ stuff (both graphic & parametric) as well as dynamics and much more...I also have a feeling it'll fit into your budget which I'm guessing is $300-$500. You can store up to 64 presets which you said you wanted. This is just one example - there are more.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/signalprocessors/behringer_deq2496.html

From reading your post though I'm not clear when and where you need the external (outboard) EQ. Prior to recording when you're practicing arrangements, during recording, or during mixdown. What problem would the EQ solve for you - in other words what did you read or what's wrong with your recordings that made you think I need an outboard EQ? It sounds like there's more here than meets the eye !

kylen said:
I also have a feeling it'll fit into your budget which I'm guessing is $300-$500.
http://www.kellyindustries.com/signalprocessors/behringer_deq2496.html
From reading your post though I'm not clear when and where you need the external (outboard) EQ. Prior to recording when you're practicing arrangements, during recording, or during mixdown. What problem would the EQ solve for you - in other words what did you read or what's wrong with your recordings that made you think I need an outboard EQ? It sounds like there's more here than meets the eye !

You are exactly right with my budget guess. And the EQ you have linked does look very nice.

What lead me to believe i need an external EQ is mainly for my guitar sound. I like a lot of distortion but it sounds kinda muddy. i believe an EQ would clean it up. And from all the plug in EQ's i've seen so far, like the one that comes with cakewalk home studio 2004, i didn't really like.
Thanks all for your help and thanks Kylen for the EQ link.

So em i right, to clean up a muddy(sound) of my guitar, a nice EQ would be the key?

Last edited:
ok. i know i usually have my mixer channel and master sliders fully up, and control the volume with my guitar knob. But i keep the guitar volume down so that the sound level meter in cakewalk never goes into the red. and is usually peaking around 3/4 or slightly less when recording.

Back