whats a good analog home demo recording setup?

smythology

I want to setup a demo recording station in my new apartment soon but I'm not sure if I'll go analog or hard-disk...

If I decide analog, I was thinking of acquiring an 8-track reel-to-reel as the console for a start (Otari? Tascam? other?). But would like suggestions on good mixers, mic-pres, compressors, etc. Nothing too fancy. Just simple enough.

Would cakewalk or other production software be necessary? Kinda want to ignore the learning curve. This is only for demos. Price is not an issue.

Maybe list what you guys have or want to have....Thanks

Any 8-track r2r really, as long as it doesn't have lots of head wear. And a nice 16 (or maybe even 24) track mixer. Tascams are dead cheap now. And then you need some good mics, and some outboard. Start with a nice condenser of some sort, those watchamacallits that Harvey recommens as starters would probably work, check the mic forum, and an SM57.
Then you need a RNC compressor and a nice multi-effect. Which will be digital, and hence is off-topic here. :)

It's all true.

Quality used analog gear is dirt cheap these days and you should be able to find a nice TASCAM TSR 8 which has dbx type I professional noise reduction and external sync capabilities for locking it up with a computer if you grow the system.

A decent 4 or 8 buss mixer from TASCAM or Mackie or Soundcraft as well with at least 16 channels would be a nice companion to the deck.

I have a 16 track, one inch TASCAM and a 24 channel TASCAM mixer and get really great results with mine.

Cheers! :)

true...I just saw a TSR-8 on ebay now fer like $180.00. If only my rent was free (but soon).

www.jimmyether.com is another cool site I found which talks bout setups, consoles, and eq. Some of the recommendations are pretty pricey but, I look forward to what I can come up with...

A friend of mine has an 8 track Tascam 1/2" reel machine and a 16 channel mackie board. He gets great results from that setup. Both can be found used on Ebay for a decent price.

You don't need any software at all to make an album. You can buy a tape deck and mix to cassette or get a 1/4" reel machine to mix to. Then you'd have to bring the reels to a mastering engineer to make CDs. If you want to make your own CDs a computer with a nice 2 channel soundcard and simple recording software would be necessary.

Don't forget to factor cables into your studio budget.

smythology said:
I want to setup a demo recording station in my new apartment soon but I'm not sure if I'll go analog or hard-disk...

If I decide analog, I was thinking of acquiring an 8-track reel-to-reel as the console for a start (Otari? Tascam? other?). But would like suggestions on good mixers, mic-pres, compressors, etc. Nothing too fancy. Just simple enough.

Would cakewalk or other production software be necessary? Kinda want to ignore the learning curve. This is only for demos. Price is not an issue.

Maybe list what you guys have or want to have....Thanks

Oh, come on ... you know you want ANALOG! :D Yeah, so I'd DEFINITELY get a 4 - 8 track TASCAM 34, 38, TSR-8 etc ... (Plentiful on eBay). Then I'd get one of the TASCAM mixing boards like the M-30, M-35, M-208, M-308, M-312 etc .. I'd then proceed to sm-57's for mics and then perhaps some DBX compressor(s). All of these I mention, provided they're in good condition (heads etc ...), will prove more than satisfactory to you or anyone wishing to make pro sounding music. Hard disc will never sound as "sweet", be as easy to operate or be more fun! :)

If you wanna get an all-in-one then I highly recommend the TASCAM 388.

Btw, use Quantegy 456 and clean the heads often with 90% + alcohol and cotton swabs.

If you get a reel to reel, you might wanna get a DX-4D DBX NR or you can do without if you record "hot" enough.

Then there's the TASCAM 246, which is no slouch either at recording but you wanted advice on "Analog" (as in reel to reel) so this may not apply. ;)

As for cables, HOSA makes good and inexpensive ones and, although many would disagree, I think the cables are of good quality.

Hint: if you want "phantom power" get the "B" version of these mixing boards. Btw, you won't need "external" mic pres 'cause the ones on these boards will compete favorably with anything past and present.

Good luck,

Daniel

Last edited:
I'll make it easy and just tell you what I decided after much research and hands-on.

Tascam TSR-8 8-track reel-to-reel and Tascam M-216 mixing board.

The results I get are outstanding -- comparable to any record company releases out there -- nothing "demo" about the sound. Of course, I've been recording for over 20 years. Keep in mind the equipment can't work magic if you can't.

The TSR-8 was a step up for me from a Tascam 246 cassette portastudio, which after much experience with, I also managed to squeeze quite impressive results from.

The M-300 series boards, such as the M-312 or M-320 are also highly recommended, but the M-216 is light, simple, comparatively inexpensive and suits my needs well. I also have an M-208 for extra channels.

For a few hundred more you can also get a Tascam MSR-16 16-track recorder. The TSR/MSR series is all good stuff and you can still find many parts for them at Tascam.

My second choice for a recorder would be a Fostex E-16 or G-16 reel-to-reel. My third choice, a Fostex R8. Don't count on any parts or service support from Fostex.

My mic pre is a modified PAIA tube pre that I built myself. If you want a dirt cheap, but very good sounding compressor I recommend the Alesis Microlimiter (Yes, that's right -- I'm not kidding!)

If you want a "real" comp/limiter the FMR RNC 1773 is hard to beat for the price.

You will have a marked advantage in many regards over your peers if you can find good analog equipment and become proficient with it.

Digital is convenient, like that microwave turkey dinner that takes 20 minutes. Analog, on the other hand, is like mom's turkey dinner that takes all day in a real oven. The question then -- do you want it done fast or done right?

Tim :cool:

Last edited:
Beck said:

Digital is convenient, like that microwave turkey dinner that takes 20 minutes. Analog, on the other hand, is like mom's turkey dinner that takes all day in a real oven. The question then -- do you want it done fast or done right?

Tim :cool:

Great "Analogy" Tim! No pun intended .. :D ;)

~Daniel

Back