What's A Bar?

music is typically written with a time signature, which consists of some number of beats per measure. one measure = one bar.

so if a piece is in 4/4, one bar means 4 quarter notes. if it's in 6/8, one bar means 8 eighth notes.

A bar is a count, most MC's ryhme to a 16 bar
(the beginning of the ryhm to the first chorus = 16 bars)

how you count a bar is like such: (snap your fingers)

on the first snap it goes

1 - 2,3,4
2 -2,3,4
3 -2,3,4
4 -2,3,4 that equals a (4) bar loop

so if it doubles, it's (8) if it triples it's (12) and quadruples (16)

if you have a Software sequencer: Cubase, Cakewalk, Digital Performer or Pro-Tools, you will see an number indicator that gives you a bar count, it will look like such 00:00:00:00

00: bars 00: minutes 00: seconds 00: frames

hope that gives you a better understanding, feel free to ask more if you'd like. mstudio1224@aol.com

jrosenstein said:
music is typically written with a time signature, which consists of some number of beats per measure. one measure = one bar.

so if a piece is in 4/4, one bar means 4 quarter notes. if it's in 6/8, one bar means 8 eighth notes.

so you mean a bar is like a pattern of the beat?

A bar is the same as a measure. If you're counting off the beats, it contains everything that occurs from the "one" until the next "one."

For example, take "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," which is in 4/4. Tap your foot while you sing...

Bar 1 =
(1) Twinkle, (2) twinkle, (3) little (4) star

Bar 2 =
(1) how I (2) wonder (3) what you (4) are

Bar 3 =
(1) up a-(2)-bove the (3) world so (4) high

Bar 4 =
(1) like a (2) diamond (3) in the (4) sky

Bar 5 =
(1) Twinkle, (2) twinkle, (3) little (4) star

Bar 6 =
(1) how I (2) wonder (3) what you (4) are

That's a 6-bar song in 4/4.

Girlnezz

4/4 - is the measure (SCRAP THIS OUTTA YA HEAD)

You want to know what bars are, so.....

Skysaw put it best "THE TWINKLE LITTLE STAR SONG"

but bars are many things to different people

for a musician -- he relies on the KICK ---to count off
for a MC -------he relies on the beginning of his ryhme to the end
for a singer ---- he relies on the chords, but the kick too

because I dont know what it is that you do ---- SING, RYHME or PLAY KEYS I cant pinpoint how to tell you what bars are

but the whole count off scheme, helps you understand

1- 2,3,4 (equals 1 bar)
2- 2,3,4 (equals 2 bars)
3- 2,3,4 (equals 3 bars)
4- 2,3,4 (equals 4 bars)

so if you go double

1- 2,3,4 (equals 1 bar)
2- 2,3,4 (equals 2 bars)
3- 2,3,4 (equals 3 bars)
4- 2,3,4 (equals 4 bars)

4 bars + 4 bars = 8 bars so if you doubled that
4 bars + 4 bars + 4 bars + 4 bars = 16 bars

If you sing/ryhme/play FAST --you count faster
If you sing/ryhme/play SLOW --- you count slower

I don't know if it helps to mention this, but the word "bar" comes from the line or bar separating the measures when you write them down in music notation. But the term "bar" has come to mean the same as "measure," unless you specifically mean the separating line (in fact, that is usually called the "bar line" to be explicit, since "bar" alone so often means "measure").

Measures are part of notation, a way of making it easier to read in written form.

Music, like poetry, very often has a patterned rhythmic structure. The most common pattern in western music is a 4-beat structure. This repeating, predictable pattern is part of how it makes you wanna dance and also helps make a melody memorable.

;) A BAR?

That's where you'll find the Blue Bear, Tex Roadkill, Daffy, Chuck, Green Hornet et. al. exchanging creative ideas and giving out free studio time to those great looking dolls aspiring to be singers.

Green Hornet :D :p :p :p :cool:

another goofy point of view

as someone previously mentioned, a bar is a unit of measure. Whether you're talking about 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 or what ever, a "bar" or "measure" is, well....

Think of 12 skillets. It doesn't matter whether you put 4 eggs in it or 12 meatballs. It simply makes it easier to reference the contents and organize them. If you dumped the eggs and meatballs on the floor, it'd be too easy to get mixed up and lose track of where you were in counting what you have.

geezzz... now i'm confused.
are you?

good luck Girlnezz
Eric

A bar is an exam an attorney needs to pass before he can legally screw you out of your money. Once an attorney, visiting sixteen bars is his path to being a congressman, giving him the right to tax you out of the rest of your money.

Back