What'll run?

vox

A friend of mine just bought a new PC:

Dell Dimension 8100
Pent 4, 1.8 Ghz
512 MB PC 800 ram
Windows 2000.

Can anyone point me in the right direction about which audio recording / sequencing software will run the best on his machine?

Are there any problems with recording and windows 2000 that he should know about?

Thanks in advance.

Anything that runs on that machine will run like crazy but the P4 is pretty untested so there may very well be some problems there, just like there was (is?) with AMD.

Yeah that's what I thought, he bought the machine against my advice, but now I have to help him get some software that will work. :( If anyone is succesfully running a similar setup please let me know.

Thanks.

how hot does the processor run?

i'd install a demo of sonar and see how that runs with MME drivers....sonar is a really nice program for using a pc to make music....most soundcards provide MME support.

let us know how it goes with the p4.........good luck!

It should run just fine, and you should be able to run any software. Now that doesn't mean that you won't have problems, we ALL have problems :) I would suspect that you're going to have more problems because it's a Dell than because it's a P4.

What you really need to be concerned with is hardware. If you're going to use a typical consumer grade soundcard, then everything should be fine. However, before buying any prosumer card, always ask the manufacturer if there are any problems with their hardware working on your chipset.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Are Dells particularly problematic?

To compound my problem even more, he is a complete newbie, he isn't even a musician, he owns a club that I do sound for sometimes and he wants to be able to do his radio voice over stuff 'in house'. That's why I'm looking for the best possible option, if any problems come up I don't think he will be able to handle them himself and I don't want to have to run down there every five minutes. :(

I don't see why Dells are problematic. In fact, since Dell is such a large and prominent company chances are that whatever hardware or software you might buy has been tested on a Dell.

Make sure the sound card you get has a driver for Windows 2000.

Dell is the next best thing to making your own, imo. I recommend them on a daily basis. Good price, good quality (name brand components), and best support.

But yea, make sure the drivers for your hardware are written for 2000. And more importantly, they work.

Running windows 2000

Also a VERY important note,

Any machine that has this operating system installed,

The latest internet Virus news, tells us that the now famous 'CODE RED WORM' attacks any machine with Windows NT, and Windows 2000 as the operating system.

To get more info on the latest internet virus alerts, or just good basic info, go to this site:http://www.ExtremeTech.com
There are links to other worthwhile sites, and the latest info on new hardware/software compatibility issues are discussed, as well as available contact info for further questions.
The site is fairly new, but the Techs there are first rate, and are very forthcoming in their sharing of info.

Upstate:D

Back