What would you replace your Matin with ? ?

I look at it from a much simpler point of view.

On a daily basis, I find my investment in guitars to be far more entertaining than my investment in zero coupon bonds. It's kind of hard to amuse yourself on a Friday night with a couple ZCBs and a six pack:D

For what it's worth, compounded annually for 74 years (1934 to 2008), that comes to an annualized return of about 9% a year. Not bad by any means, and certainly better than broad market indices have done by a couple percentage points, but also not unattainable by any means, and as you freely admit a new Martin is unlikely to accrue value as strongly.

That said, would I rather own and enjoy a Martin for 74 years, or own and, um, "enjoy" an investment returning 9% a year? That strikes me as a no-brainer. :D

A. Is that adjusted for inflation? And I don't mean government "rate" bur real-deal, pain-at-the-pump inflation.

B. That guitar will only bring $100K IF and ONLY IF he sells it. So it's EITHER the 100 grand OR the guitar, but not both. Just like a house is EITHER shelter OR investment, but not both. Something tells me that someone who's held on to it for so long, with this much sentimental and musical value will NOT intend to sell it, so its value is besides the point.

btw, you can have investments that both return (dividends) AND appreciate in value (increase in price). that way you don't have to sell to earn.

there'll be a lot of people needing food very soon that won't be able to hold on to their vintage stuff or anything of value - no matter what the appreciation.

the choice to sell is OP's, he didn't ask us to choose.

DON'T SELL IT. after you buy a new guitar, you'll have what? $400? is it worth $400 and a not as good guitar? DO NOT sell,

Hyperthetical question really, , , and i suppose only applies to martin owners past or present.

If you had to sell your MARTIN HD-28 with Fishman pup, , ,(or any martin ), , what would you buy as a replacement if you only had half of the sale price to work with.

What would you be looking at buying, ? ? ?

Thanks for looking, kev

If money is the issue, then one thing to consider is that unless you are going to start missing payments, etc., then just hang on to it. But if you are reaching a critical time in your life, sell it and just pick up guitar playing after you get over your hump.

I just know that expensive guitars are not for me (and that's just me speaking). If a $350 used Seagull just absolutely won't do it for you, then - No, selling your 1500 pound Martin and getting something cheaper (and lighter :D) doesn't seem to make sense for you.

Good luck with your situation!

I bought an Alvarez MD80 for $729 at Musicians friend. Spent $130 having a fishman undersaddle passive pickup installed and a strap button on the neck. Bought a Fishman Aura Dreadnought pedal for $180. I just got it back from the shop and am definately happy with the guitar. I do like the taylors though. The only problem I have with the Alvarez is that it has a gloss finish, but thats nothing major.

Being that its less than half what an HD-28 costs, I would much rather have this guitar. Granted it won't hold its value as much as a martin, but so what. I can atleast replace it without having to take a home equity loan.

...That said, would I rather own and enjoy a Martin for 74 years, or own and, um, "enjoy" an investment returning 9% a year? That strikes me as a no-brainer. :D

As this thread is in danger of being hijacked, I thought it best that I help it along...

So, going on the premise that a single Martin is worth $100,000:

$1,000,000 in (present-day value) securities would be much easier to safeguard- just put 'em in a safety deposit box and be done with it. To maintain ten Martin guitars would require a secure, climate-controlled (including humidity) space, a $1,000,000 insurance policy against perils like theft, fire and flood, etc.- in short, a much bigger expense than a safety deposit box.

And don't delude yourself into thinking Martins are not subject to the vagraties of the market- gear prices are down currently (I know what I am talking about- for instance, the Ampeg VT40 amp I have that is just like one that brought $1,040 on eBay last summer is NOT selling currently at $600...)

Plus, owning ten guitars is somewhat of a ego-driven thing- you can't play more than one at a time.

All that said, if my Martin got stolen or damaged by fire, I'd probably buy a top of the line Seagull and pocket the dif.

Back